TIRE UPDATE

Tony G

You will be glad to know that we have again secured a deal with Toyo for our 2002 season which is great for us, so we can continue to run our awesome Tires!

One thing still, please refrain from any purchases until I post something next week as to how we will aquire these tires,and how the program will work.

Thanks,

Tony Guaglione

whew...you posted this just in time as I was just about to dial AIM and order two sets of tires for the new season...glad to hear of any tire deal that saves money...speaking of saving money...the JL DYNO in sand city is offering a group discount for a CMC dyno day...only $35 per car...the dyno date will be January 29 so contact me if you want to reserve a spot...richard

The tire deal for American Iron is toyo as well. I personally have no experience with the tires and need some info. What kind of characteristics do they have in comparison to kumhos and hoosiers? Also, what kind of tire pressures and temps. are best.

thanks,

Vageli Karas

AI #3

Hi vageli

From my 2001 experience the Toyos feels very similar to the Kuhmos I ran later in year regarding the way they handle and react to temperature...The Hoosiers need more heat and pressure, faster but more sensitive...(in my opinion)you should keep those Kuhmos you are selling and use for testing and practice, that is what I will do with the Kuhmos in my garage

Unfortunately as a Camaro driver, I have no idea bout camber or tire temps. The Camaro's in CMC have always been limited to -1.5 Camber max which, based on my tire wear patterns, isn't enough.

They tend to get greasy after a few laps. They are a very predictable tire, even when they get a bit greasy. THe one thing you'll have to get used to is that they are a noisy tire and squeal like hell.

- Nick

Camaro #45

On a Mustang, Toyos like low air pressure and a ton of camber. They go off if you overheat them. Higher air pressures will cause them to heat up. They are a little slower than the Kuhmos/Hoosiers. I think the feel of the Toyos is better with no surprises at the limit. Toyos are also much more resistant to flat-spotting and last much longer overall. The Toyos are greasy when new. The older they get the better they work.

I contacted someone at toyo and when I asked about pressures and temps he said the tires like 40psi hot and they need 160-200 degrees. It sounded like 200 would be the optimum temp, but that they come in at 160. Does this sound about right? Also, what kind of temps would be ideal with to start cold? If I remember correctly he also mentioned that they like at least 2.5degress negative camber, but no more than 5.

Heldin, is it legal to run practice with other than spec tires during a race weekend? I really don't want to get into any trouble here.

Hi vageli

I was told that we can use any tire in practice and warm-up sessions (but of course not in qualifying). So I think it will be cost effective to use up whatever old tires during practice.

Vageli,

I have found that around 3-3 1/2 neg. camber works best.

40 psi sounds high,and I like seeing 35psi when hot off the track.

You can use any tire you want when practicing,just Toyo's when qualifying and racing.

thanks,

Tony Guaglione

Tony and Per are correct. Use up the old non-spec tires in practice and then use the Toyos to qualify and race.

BTW, Vilven is up and running on the program at full speed and they have plenty of availability to take care of us.

-JWL

AI Series Director