Race Seats

GAC

If you are adding or changing an item in your vehicle that requires, by the safety rules, a non-OEM seat, the seat change will not incur a points addition.

For example: adding a roll bar or cage; this requires an FIA approved seat, or a seat with a back brace where the seat is capable of taking the back brace loads (which OEM seats, in nearly all cars, cannot do).

The principle in operation is that safety is (generally) free, while performance will incur points.

That all makes sense, but are you saying then that no matter what the seat weighs ( 20 lbs, 10 lbs, 8 lbs), in the below example, points will not be assessed?

If you are adding or changing an item in your vehicle that requires, by the safety rules, a non-OEM seat, the seat change will not incur a points addition.

For example: adding a roll bar or cage; this requires an FIA approved seat, or a seat with a back brace where the seat is capable of taking the back brace loads (which OEM seats, in nearly all cars, cannot do).

The principle in operation is that safety is (generally) free, while performance will incur points.

Wow, I hadnt considered the weight reduction advantage. Some factory seats are incredibly heavy.

This is a very good point.

I would be willing to bet that in the name of safety, this might not be an issue.

That all makes sense, but are you saying then that no matter what the seat weighs ( 20 lbs, 10 lbs, 8 lbs), in the below example, points will not be assessed?

Yes, that is correct. If you are adding a roll bar/cage, you will not be saving any weight overall.

Wow, I hadnt considered the weight reduction advantage. Some factory seats are incredibly heavy.

This is a very good point.

I would be willing to bet that in the name of safety, this might not be an issue.

Just further clarification, I'm sure that jp99gt will agree, you do not want to add racing seats without a roll bar. If you roll the car with racing seats and no roll bar you will die. OEM seats are designed to break back on a roll over. Racing seats are designed to be used with a roll bar/roll cage. This is another reason why there are no points for racing seats.

Most instructors will not get in the car with you if you have racing seats without a roll bar.

860TTC is right, plus you won't pass tech inspection if it is run per the CCR. Once you deviate from your car's OEM equipment, you must satisfy the rules for cars per the CCR (ie, race car rules).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Dan,

The TT deal is a little distinct from other forms of motorsport in that our tech inspections at least regarding performance mods are pretty much on the honor system. Having said that, I had been an inspector in addition to a driver in circle track racing in the past and we wouldn't hesitate to make somebody cut out a bar that they had designed into the cage if we felt it gave an unfair performance advantage in terms of stiffness relative to the other cars in a given division. Make sure that any stiffening you do to the car is actually required for safety and if in doubt get Greg to make a ruling ahead of time before you start welding.

God be with you Dan,

Aaron

• National Staff

Just further clarification, I'm sure that jp99gt will agree, you do not want to add racing seats without a roll bar. If you roll the car with racing seats and no roll bar you will die. OEM seats are designed to break back on a roll over. Racing seats are designed to be used with a roll bar/roll cage. This is another reason why there are no points for racing seats.

Most instructors will not get in the car with you if you have racing seats without a roll bar.

You may have noticed that the rules call for a point for "replacement seat" (as opposed to racing seat). There are many DOT approved aftermarket ("street") seats that would provide a perfomance advantage both in terms of weight savings and the ability of the seat to hold the driver tighter. Good catch

I can tell you I won't get in a car with racing seats and no roll bar

• Members

Come ride with me Ted!!!

(actually, after the November event I will have a cage.)

You have a roll bar though, right dude??

Come ride with me Ted!!!

Come ride with me Ted!!!

Do you have A/C and a cup holder????

Come ride with me Ted!!!

Ted races with the A/C on full blast and a Slurpee in the cupholder!

• Members

Poor mans A/C. (Cool Suit) but alas, only 1 hose. if you ride with me I will have a cup holder!