Shaved or unShaved?

bsim

good question as a newbie I am curious also ....Tony said he ran his first season on full treads... I finally bought the wheels I needed and are waiting for them to get here to see what I got. .... you know ebay.,,,, and by the way for anyone stupid like me a little wisdom... it is costing me 100 bucks to ship 4 20 slot 16's from Maryland to Paso ... I coulda saved 3 bucks shipping to a business. But here was the shocker I would have save $40 forty bucks if I had ahd a Fed EX account and they promise 4 day ups said 7 days and they are having a price hike next month. After I found out how hard it was to find these wheels in the 16 in size ...Like they only put them on Formula cars I bought another set and shipped them from utah for forty bucks..... and if you want or have the center caps the thigs go for like 60 on ebay. PS the guy in Maryland felt so bad about the shipping he threw in 2 front z-28 calipers (any good?) and they do have the caps. I really never even thought abought it till I saw an ad for them on Ebay. Jimmy B in Maryland is a really good young man that answer from my ad in the for sale forum. So I will have a used set shaved, a new set full (Rains) tread and a set of practice or school TA KD's I got from Tony for 1/2 the price of the Toyos..... I know adhesion is better with the shaved and you know they are round if I were a better driver it might make a much bigger problem for me.... after I get some seat time with each I will be better suited to answer there I go running off again, NEVER put an author in front of a keyboard. I think toyos are like others the best right before they go away. How about you fast guys out there we need your opinion.... ps whichever have fun thats whats inportant

New Guys,

Puhlease don't buy anything the hard way. Ask on this board first. I probably have 5 sets of 16x8s for the 4th gen that are extra. And I am sure that is true for some of the older (aged; not new) 3rd gen and Mushtang drivers also.

Perry

If you have a third gen and need the GTA wheels (lightest stockers) then there are a couple of good sources I know of: for used: GM Sport Salvage in San Jose, and good reproductions:

http://www.classicindustries.com . I have the Classic Industries Repros, they are $150 each. Sometimes you can catch their sales and get a better deal.

another advantage of the 4th gen. The wheels can be had for 200$ a set where your cost looks like 4x150=600$ a set.

Perry

Jules, missed you at SP yesterday

I don't think his questions has been aswered very well .... someone other than me needs to tell bsim what way to go and what he will need ... we newbies need help from your guys experience.... please

Hi Bud, someone else posting here spoke about another CMCer running their first season on full treads - this is a good idea and a low budget way to go. Get all the other Toyos you can afford, new or used. Shaveds are more expensive and a beginner just learning won't benefit from them until they have some track time under their belt (butt ). Full treads will give a little too, more forgiveness is good when you are a beginner.

I ran nearly the whole season last year on a set of shaved Toyos and they were 225/50/16's. That's a narrower tire than what the rules allow! The shaved tires will be more consistent from the start. Good tire management is key: watch your pressures and temps and rotate, rotate, rotate. Keep wear as even as possible and when you run the edges down a bit, flip the tire on the rim to get some more mileage. Full treads are good for the wet.

Greg

Mustang #12

Here's what I've exerienced....the Toyo spec tire at full tread is NOT the way for a novice, or any serious racer for that matter, to go...as with all full tread tires they will generate more heat and higher tire temps in the tire with resulting tire squirm and decreased traction compared to shaved tires...a novice is better off with the shaved tires which are more predictable and also stick better making it easier to drive on the edge...full tread tires will let go more abruptly which is not the best situation for a novice....if a novice wants to learn how to control his car he is better off running the best tire he can...and that's a shaved tire....why battle the poorer handling of the unshaved tire (except for in the rain) to save a few bucks? ...if you're really interested in racing the do it full bore...and as to cost effectiveness...the shaved tires are good for at least six full CMC race weekends and they won't signifcantly deteriorate in adhesion or lap times even if you run them down to the casings....so if anyone is considering buying full tread Toyos for any other purpose than running in the rain...DON'T....the preceding is purely the ranting and raving of Richard Pryor, who some will say has signs of early senility, and is not endorsed by anyone in power at NASA, CMC or PLAYBOY....and if you take my advice and you a)go slower, b) crash, c) go broke, d) get divorced or e) get beaten on the track by a blind paraplegic you're on your own and don't bother suing.

Richard, thanks.... I think everyone has a good point there is a dollar to diminishing returns aspect. personally as soon as I can I am going to have my fulls shaved and I do believe they are more predictible. and of course there is the heat build up. And I won't be running in the rain too much as it never Rains in CA" HA and I like staying on the pavement when possible. I need alot more confidence before I want to go at speed in the wet so there go my full. Thanks everyone for getting back to bsim question. Damn, how do you guys keep it so short?

OK,I will add one more thing...Have them shaved between 4/32 to 5/32 .

I always start the year with a shaved and unshaved set just in case of rain.

Tony