How many young men and novices entries?

uogood

I'm preparing the HPDE for next year.

But I have never been to the track with my car.

Also I'm just 18 years old with no-citizen of USA.

I moved USA before 1~2 years from Asia.

Anyway I entirely have no experience at the track.

But I'm always crazy with the highquality sport driving and the races.

How many young men and no experienced people generally join the HPDE?

Do I just need the membership of NASA(40$), tech inspection, a helmet, the knowledge of rules(CCR) and a car(no-modified) for the HPDE?

I want get your suggestionsand advices

Be prepared to have a blast, you will love it!

I trust that you have a valid driver's license in one of the states of the U.S.? Depending on what region's events you participate in, there are lots of young men, older men, men in the middle and females! Generally the amount that have never been on track is small, but hey, you have to start sometime! Even though there may only be a few who are first timers, there are plenty of novice drivers, and you will be in a group appropriate to your skill level.

You may be crazy about the sport, but don't be crazy on the track! You will have classroom instruction and an in car instructor with whom you will communicate, hopefully, through a radio headset.

All you need, in additon to what you mentioned, is a desire to learn the skills and techniques that will help you become a proficient driver. Listen to your instructor, first focus on smooth inputs and learning the mechanics of high performance driving. Learn to recognize what the car tells you and if you've made a mistake in your inputs. Work on being consistent, and the speed will come, little by little, over months or even years of seat time.

I belive that starting next year the requirement for a helmet will be a Snell 2000 classification. In what region will you be participating?

Thank you so much for your reply!

I will join north California region, and of course i have a valid license of CA.

I will try the first HPDE 1 of the next year!

How many young men and no experienced people generally join the HPDE?

Do I just need the membership of NASA(40$), tech inspection, a helmet, the knowledge of rules(CCR) and a car(no-modified) for the HPDE?

Everyone has been a first timer at some point. There is a wide range of individuals in HPDE1. age ranging from 18 to 72 and both male and female.

To answer your questions:

1) membership of NASA - yes

2) tech inspection - yes at every event

3) a helmet - yes, as stated at least a snell 2000 classification

4) knowledge of rules - yes - you will also be attending classroom session and have an instructor in the car wilth you. Both will help you learn to drive the car on the track.

5) a car(no-modified) - yes and no - you do need a car but it can be modified. That is what the tech inspection is for, to be sure that the cars are safe to drive on the track. My son was going through HPDE in our modified 300ZX 2+2(turbo), which I run it TTC.

The main is to have fun from the start and learn as much as you can and keep progressing. Good Luck!

Come join us at Thunderhill this weekend and you can see for yourself. You might even be able to get a ride on Track in HPDE. Come visit the Honda Challenge Group, we'd love to answer any questions you have. PM me if you want directions to the track and arriange a meeting place.

3) a helmet - yes, as stated at least a snell 2000 classification

At this time, a helmet meeting M90 or SA90 is fine for HPDE. If you are racing wheel to wheel, then SA95 will be sufficient.

• National Staff

Dave is, of course, correct about the helmet ratings currently. It appears that the questioner is preparing for 2006 HPDE. In 2006, the ratings will jump up 5 years--so, for racing, it would be an SA2000 helmet minimum. Likewise, it will likely be required to have an M95 or SA95 helmet for HPDE in 2006.