Miata set up for HPDE 2

farmboy

My question is fairly simple but I keep getting answers that are a run around.

I have a Miata that I am presently changing over to be able to run in Spec Miata group.

I do have a hard top bolted on. "Can I run the Miata in HPDE 2 without a roll bar?"

The reason I ask is that before the 2006 season begins, I would like to install the Mazda Speed suspension. Then get a set of 15 X 7 wheels with some Toyo RA-1 tires.

If I have to go with a roll bar and race seat as well as a race seat for the instructor ( I have been told what is good for the student is required for the Instructor, I don't understand this since I have ridden with instructors that use a stock set for the passenger. ) Since I will only go with a weld in Roll Cage, this will put the suspension and wheels further down on the to do list!

I know safty is very important!!!

My question is fairly simple but I keep getting answers that are a run around.

I have a Miata that I am presently changing over to be able to run in Spec Miata group.

I do have a hard top bolted on. "Can I run the Miata in HPDE 2 without a roll bar?"

The reason I ask is that before the 2006 season begins, I would like to install the Mazda Speed suspension. Then get a set of 15 X 7 wheels with some Toyo RA-1 tires.

If I have to go with a roll bar and race seat as well as a race seat for the instructor ( I have been told what is good for the student is required for the Instructor, I don't understand this since I have ridden with instructors that use a stock set for the passenger. ) Since I will only go with a weld in Roll Cage, this will put the suspension and wheels further down on the to do list!

I know safty is very important!!!

I would do the cage (or rollbar with ability to later add a cage) first. Then the suspension. You can get on the track and even race with the stock suspension (no one will mind) thus getting you some seat time.

Most instructors I know won't mind a stock seat but you need to have equivalent harnesses over there and something to attach them to which means a roll bar minumum.

PM me if you have questions or want info about the SM program next year in the SE region.

Jason

Thanks for the post.

After reading the replies and some PM's , the suspension will wait till later in the season and I plan to get an Autopower weld in cage.