how many people are join with stock?

uogood

Hello.

I got the mail about the event calender of 2006.

I guess my first HPDE on January. I'm already nervous growing.

Anyway, I have a question.

I think the most people are professional in the NASA, altough the HPDE.

I guess they have their specially tuned car for just track.

I have never tuned up my car, even an intake or tires during 36000miles.

It's just the stock car, because i was pressured by money and parents as students.

I also want to use my money for the HPDE instead of tune-up.

If I join there with my car, I guess I will get a shame by myself, instuctor and the others.

How many people in the HDPE are join with their car like me?

Can I get your advice and suggestions?

Thank you!

Ok, some of those sentences are really hard to read, but I am getting the general idea. You are new and have a car that is stock & you are wondering if there are other people like you. Well, my car is stock except for upgraded brake lines, fluid and pads. Besides that the car has no modification to the suspension nor engine. I have done one event at Buttonwillow in October and am going to the event next weekend too. Best of luck with your first event.

-George

Hello,

There is no shame in doing the best you can with whatever car you have. You would learn a great deal in HPDE1 even in a totally stock car and you will probably have a wonderful time doing so.

Welcome to NASA.

I guarantee that no one will say a word to you about your car being unmodified! 99% of drivers wouldn't even notice the usual modifications anyway. Suspension, brake and engine mods aren't that obvious to the casual observer.

Well I was going to post the link to our "What is HPDE/ HPDE basic" page but it's busted on OH/IN's website!! Maybe someone from another region has a link to a similar page on their site?

Most people just starting out in HPDE 1 have an unmodified car as well. At this level all you need to worry about is getting out there and learning/having fun!

You are far better off starting w/ a stock car. This way you won't be masking poor driving with good suspension or chasing down a driving problem related to a poor suspension. I'd grab an extra set of pads, set tire pressure and do an oil change then hit the track. However, if this is your only means of transportation keep in mind that accidents to happen, so if loosing your car for a few weeks and a $6000 body work bill would prevent you from surviving, then maybe you should just spectate. I had a buddy of mine crash his M3 on his second track weekend. Luckily for him he has a good job and a second car! (I wrecked my car that same weekend, but it was a track only car so not a _huge_ deal for me).

If you plan to use your only car/daily driver on track make sure to carry collision insurance, purchase rental car replacement coverage and towing. That way you will have something to drive while the dents are pounded out. I do not have a dedicated track car at the moment but insurance does provide some security.

See ya at the track.

• 2 weeks later...

i didnt, however, my car wouldnt have passed tech if i hadnet gotten new shocks put on it... they were almost non existant..... and my exaust decided on its own to become very free flowing..... the cat got too hot and broke the welds on it, so i was running upen header the whole time.(loud!!) other then that, the only pourposfull modifications i had done were removing of the spare tire and rear trunk carpeting *a simple snap button jobbie* and removal of the rear seats *10 bolts....* the tires were smaller profile, and slightly sticker then what had come on the car, those were about to blow out anyway... and the alignment settings were, racy... about 1 degree negative camber and 1/16 degree toe with equal caster left/right *increases responsivness rather dramatically, that is usually good, but it could also be very bad.....* i was able to crack into the low 2:20s at my first event weekend on buttonwillow's #13CW. the car came with a chip in it, but as I had never driven the car without it, it can be considered stock for the pourpouses expressed here.... not a huge difference in my car anyway... MAYBE 10 hp...... so, go ahead and run stock. acctually, i would reccomend stock.... if you can drive a car that really isint set up to drive even marginally quickly at a respectable pace, then what could you do in something that was meant to go fast?