• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffburch

• camaro_1le

• cmc38camaro

• doug1548534725

I agree that the L98 would be a valid option. But which L98? In 1987 and 1991 their compression was rated at 10:1 which puts it over the limit. Given enough time, probably can find a decent one though.

Jim, the only 10:1 L98 I know of are the aluminum headed corvette motors. Do you have specs that show this compression ratio in a f-body L98?

One of the better sources of 3rd gen spec I have found is:http://www.iroczone.com/specs/camaro/camindex.html

If we are going to allow 350's... it can only be whatever GM specs were for the L98 from '87-'92. From what I can find... '87-'89 had 9.3:1 compression... and '90-'92 had 9.7:1 compression based on a piston change.

Dave, can you share your source of this compression ratio data?

Per TGO, the L98 on it's best day did 245/345 SAE.

The announcement thread (by TG) said 300 ft. lb. tq. as the number for 2010

I hope he ment 310.

Jeff has hit on my biggest concern with the L98. How do you approach the 260hp number without being 50 ft-lbs over on torque? Most hot rodder don't think in terms of lowering anything, we think in terms or raising one more than the other. My gut tells me a cam swap is going to be needed. I have already been pushing on Tony for that 310 number.

Mike

Hi Mike, Here is where I get most my third gen data...

http://www.thirdgen.org/tech-data

You can get a lot of good stuff there.

Yeah... TQ number would be tough to hit... allow for intakes... remove the long runner TPI, use a mini ram (LT1 Style of sorts)... and you'll fix most the torque issue.

Peace,

Dave

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. That's a bit outside the scope of what we're trying to do here. It's been a long time since I've messed with TPIs or even really paid much attention to them, but is it really going to be impossible to achieve the target numbers with the stock intake manifold?

Yes, I agree! Just probably the only way an L98 hits any torque numbers in table 3.

Although the carb guys would probably be fine.

Anyone know someone with a stock L98 Car, that has a 5 speed in it, to do some dyno pulls?

We have a test car with the L98 TPI and will be testing the numbers very soon.

Tony Guaglione

I think the T56 should be an option on that motor if it is chosen as it is more durable (the T56) and it adds weight (no performance advantage over the T-5).

I don't think so, because of no distributor on those years. Maybe someone modify's them?

Doh!

Yeah, forgot about that.

Drill a hole

jb

Used ones are reasonable on fleabay.

DIY the mods.

By the distributor shim for $30.

The thermostat housing is weird.

Where is the oem location on those cars?

You might have something there.

thx,

jb

Yeah, I forgot about the 'whole thermostat' challenge.

Ok... maybe not...

Be curious to see the L98 Dyno numbers!

Dave

I think I remember an autocrosser that ran an LT1 intake on an L98. I'll see if he has some info and dyno numbers.

Jeff

Have fun spending hours on the dyno tuning it yourself since none of the dyno shops know the software. I gave up on the LT1 intake idea after trying to tune a TPI motor.

Stick to bolt-ons and you'll be a lot happier. Trust me.

5.7 idea is kinda cool.

I just happen to have 3 5.0 motors. One in the car when I bought it, one good short block that I got for free and one builder long block I got for free.

Around here guys just give away running 5.o motors.

Kinda surprised that some people are having a hard time finding them. Around here there must be at least two dozen 5.0 monte/truck/third gen/caprice cars in the junkyard every weekend.

Most third gen guys dont want them and let them go for cheap (free in my case).

kyle

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone figured out what ECM and calpac Richard P says will give you 20hp (from his FS thread)? If headers and rockers don't get us (the 3Gs) up to the number, this would be another possible option that wouldn't require cracking open the motor.