?s about Canton Pan/Cooler/Accusump use

MHISSTC

Team Incidental Contact will be using the Canton Road Race Pan on it's 5.0L in 2009. In addition, we are looking at using the Canton oil cooler along with an Accusump. We have been browsing websites for information and best prices on the Canton Oil Cooler and Accusump oil accumulator and feel we have a good handle on price and parts needed to plumb this setup.

We did have a few more questions about the system that we asked of the Canton customer service folks, but they referred us to the .pdf files they have online, which didn't answer all of the questions we had.

Maybe you all can answer these questions:

1. Which size Accusump should we use? 2 quart or 3 quart? If we fill the oil up to the correct level when the accumulator is full, what happens when we preoil the engine and that 2-3 quarts gets put into the pan? Will we in effect be overfilling the pan, dipping the crank into the oil, and creating a frothy mess?

2. Where is the best spot to mount the Accusump? For weight distribution and convenience with a manual valve, it makes sense to mount it on the passenger side tunnel or floor. With a manual valve and cable kit we could put it in the back hatch area for even better weight distribution. However, I'm not too sure I like the idea of a container full of hot motor oil sitting next to or behind me or an oil line (even a braided SS one) running next to me. Has anyone had success mounting one under the hood with a manual valve and cable kit? Accusump recommends locating the unit where it wont be exposed to a bunch of heat. Is that possible under the hood? I'm thinking a good location (if you don't need the wipers) would be in the cowl area where the wiper mechanism would normally be located.

3. Canton recommends a non-bypass style filer. Is there a cheaper option to their Canton branded filters that are $70-$100?

Thoughts?

Scott

Right back at ya.

2008 Technical Bulletins

To: All Camaro-Mustang Challenge Series Competitors

Effective Date: Immediately from date of inclusion in this bulletin

Subject: Changes and additions to the CMC Series Rule Book

1/24/08: Rule 8.18.1, subsection 2. Delete: “If no oil pressure accumulator system is employed, eligible cars may use an aftermarket oil pan as specified in this section.†All cars may run both an accumulator and any specified legal oil pans.

1. Which size Accusump should we use? 2 quart or 3 quart? If we fill the oil up to the correct level when the accumulator is full, what happens when we preoil the engine and that 2-3 quarts gets put into the pan? Will we in effect be overfilling the pan, dipping the crank into the oil, and creating a frothy mess?

I'd use the 3-quart. They are the most commonly used on V-8s and priced about the same. The accumulator doesn't dump all 3 quarts into the pan the second you open the valve. It actually releases the oil fairly slowly because the flow is still restricted by the bearing clearances. You can test this out when you change oil. Open the valve with the pan drained and you will see that it takes several minutes to drain the remaining oil from the accumulator.

2. Where is the best spot to mount the Accusump? For weight distribution and convenience with a manual valve, it makes sense to mount it on the passenger side tunnel or floor. With a manual valve and cable kit we could put it in the back hatch area for even better weight distribution.

I've got mine in the rear hatch with the manual valve remotely located up by the shifter on the passenger side of the tunnel. No need for the cable kit, just use AN fittings to locate the manual valve where you want it.

3. Canton recommends a non-bypass style filer. Is there a cheaper option to their Canton branded filters that are $70-$100?

In my old car I had the Canton setup, which worked fine, but I decided it was unnecessarily complicated so I went with a standard oil filter and spin-on adapter in my new one since I'm not running an oil cooler anyway. I'm not sure if you can get a non-bypass spin-on filter. Let me know if you find one!

Before you go to far double check the rules. I believe you are only allowed to run a road race pan or an accusump but not allowed to run both.

Used to be that way. The rules change so darned fast around here.

Thats why I said doublecheck.

I didn't know we were being sponsored by Canton until I looked at the list of approved pans.

Now as far as the original question goes I think my car has the 3 quart and it is mounted in the passenger floorboard. I also have the electric valve.

I don't think I would mount it in the back with the length of line required. I would check with Accusump if you can get any info out of them. I think there is the possibility of having issues with a long line between the sump and the pan.

Thanks for the feedback Matt and Bryan.

I'm going to have to read the instructions again to see exactly why the non-bypass filter is to be used and if it is recommended or required. If I can save $100 by buying a regular filter I'm all for it.

I'm also going to continue my search with some other brands. Canton/Accusump were the easier ones to find information on...especially since they are mentioned by name in the rules.