Loaded question!

ragtap

I have just started opentrack & HPDE events the last part of this year. One thing I've noticed is I could be getting the same experience with a car at half the price. Less spent on the car more money for track time. Although I am sure I'll miss my RX-8, what are the good track cars, say of the last ten years?

I have people telling me miatas, Mustangs, BMWs corvettes, porsches. Of course the more expensive the car the older one I will have to get. I just don't want to buy something that has an inherit suspension or drivetrain problem. Say like a live axle or something like that. I also don't think i want to try any front wheel drive cars. My instructors at Skip Barber years ago said "RWD good, AWD good, FWD bad"

In a couple of years I can put my money where my mouth is so to speak.

Thanks ahead of time for any input I might get.

Pat

That's the answer I've gotten from every instructor I've talked to. And a Miata was what I planned on getting when I do go racing. I just wanted to see if there were any other biased opinions out there.

Whats wrong w/ FWD on a roadcouse, unless your making alot of hp i wouldnt think it makes a difference in track times. You have to drive the track a bit differently though

• Members
Whats wrong w/ FWD on a roadcouse, unless your making alot of hp i wouldnt think it makes a difference in track times. You have to drive the track a bit differently though

I too am biased. I think you learn more at making a slow car turn fast lap times than making an already fast car run OK lap times.

Heres my take. Miata's make an OK driver look good. Its just one of these all around decent cars. Is it the best for a beginner? Id say it qualify's as one of the best. There are many out there, its your choice.

I drive a low HP FWD car because its a challenge. Its good basic training. I can drive the Vette or STI all day long, using its HP to make up for my errors. But in my Scirocco, if I make a mistake, the lap time is destroyed. Its like driving basic training for me. Then when I get back in the HP cars, WOW, lookit me go! Works for me.

I too am biased. I think you learn more at making a slow car turn fast lap times than making an already fast car run OK lap times.

Heres my take. Miata's make an OK driver look good. Its just one of these all around decent cars. Is it the best for a beginner? Id say it qualify's as one of the best. There are many out there, its your choice.

I drive a low HP FWD car because its a challenge. Its good basic training. I can drive the Vette or STI all day long, using its HP to make up for my errors. But in my Scirocco, if I make a mistake, the lap time is destroyed. Its like driving basic training for me. Then when I get back in the HP cars, WOW, lookit me go! Works for me.

I agree with you Shawn. I use to drive a RWD Mustang on the track and if I made a mistake, my lap times didn't fall off that much. But once I switch to a lower HP FWD Focus, I had to really watch for any mistakes or my lap time will be slow.

There are a ton - just look at the top performers in ITS and you will get a good idea.

Sure the default answer of Miata (too small for me and I don't have the body repair experience to race them) - fully developed is unlikely to remain inexpensive given the national status in SCCA.

Others:

Civics and Integras in various generations if you can stand FWD.

Various VW again FWD.

RWD that are naturally balanced and good suspension E30 BMW's and Nissan 240SX's.

Plenty of others - heck people race box freezers (volvos).

Pokey little Honda Civic: learn to drive, then go out and find how to handle the horsepower.

IMHO, going out as a beginner in a high horsepower car without truly understanding how to "drive" (vs merely going fast by simply stepping on the gas pedal) is an invitation for disaster.

• 4 weeks later...

another biased opinion: porsche 944 or 924S 83-89 although the 85.5 and up cars are the ones to have. low HP, rear wheel drive, light weight, great handleing cars, near perfect balance and very neutral handeling, even oversteering at points rather then understeer . dead reliable if maintenece is taken care of. inexpensive to buy into wiht a remakably clean car going for $5000. got my car for $1425 on EBAY, put $3000 into maintenence *mostly labor at the mechanic* belts and pumps are what you really need to look for** with my 230k mile 924S, adjustable koni yellows, no working sway bars, and slightly lower profile 205/50/15 all season tires i was able to out-drive guys with BMW M cars, a pontiac GTO *the new one* a maserati, and an RX-8. great cars. mee-az-da? give me a prosche any day

Don't forget the 2nd gen Mazda RX-7. Those cars are so fun to drive, are super cheap, and have a ton of aftermarket support. Stick to the N/A engined cars and you are good to go.