CMC2 Fox body fender flares

CMC#11

Hi all, I wanted to post up some details and pictures from transforming my Fox Mustang from CMC to CMC2. There are alot of threads on the internet regarding ways to flare your stock fenders and I wanted to share how I did mine.

In CMC trim I had 71.75-72.00" of front track width. The fender lips were rolled completely and were around 1/8th inch thick. I think they were aftermarket Taiwan fenders b/c they seemed a lot thinner than other stock fenders compared.

CMC-stock-fender.JPG

My goal was to run 17x9 wheels and achieve the maximum fox body track width of 72.5".

I started by hammering out the stock lip to meet the same angle as the original flare.

CMC-fender-lip.JPG

I then welded together a streatcher bar and attached it to the fender with steel rivets. I pushed out on the fender and wedged the bar in to gain more clearance.

CMC-fender-bar.JPG

After I attached the streatcher bar it made the rear of the fender bend in towards the tire. I know I would have a rubbing issue (just like I did with the 16" wheels) so I cut out a portion of the lower fender.

CMC-back-of-fender.JPG

After cutting out about 1" of material along the tape line I used pliers to "carefully" bend in a new smooth edge. To my suprise with a little time and a hammer the new edge looked pretty darn good. I didn't even use any bondo on this part before paint.

CMC-rolled-lip.JPG

At this point it was time to grind down the flare and add a little bondo. After two thin coats of bondo it went to primer.

CMC-primer-fender.JPG

The finished result turned out great. Excluding bondo and paint it took me about 8 hours. I learned a few things as I did each side.

I did the passenger side first and actually cut out the inner lip on the original flare. This made the fender much weaker and also harder to get a consistent smooth edge. On the drivers side I left the inner lip attached and it went much quicker.

If I had to do it again I could easily do each side in about 2 hours.

IMGP0545.JPG

IMGP0546.JPG

IMGP0547.JPG

IMGP0548.JPG

We had our first event last week and I ran at 72.5" front track width and didn't have a single rubbing issue at all. I even have a little room to play with spacers on a side to side basis.

If y'all have any questions fire away and I'll try to answer.

Hi all, I wanted to post up some details and pictures from transforming my Fox Mustang from CMC to CMC2. There are alot of threads on the internet regarding ways to flare your stock fenders and I wanted to share how I did mine.

If y'all have any questions fire away and I'll try to answer.

They look awesome!!!!!......The nice thing is that they probably only took about 20 minutes to do, right?

Kent

• Members

Apparently reading comprehension is not Kent's strongest skill...

8hrs excluding bondo and paint, estimating he could redo in 2hrs now that he's learned a few tricks.

Michael, the car looks awesome. Thanks for posting up a little tech to help the other guys that might follow your lead.

Its the year of the fox!!!

Hey Micheal, congrats on the track record. As you know every one is tring to make the old 5.0 make the CMC2 numbers. You always here the early (pre 93) computer have a better fuel and timing curve. Witch also helps with pinging after removing the EGR. My question for you is, are you running the early computer. I'm running the stock 95 that came with the car. I have almost the same numbers you have. This is good R&D.

Thank Bua

Good info.

My setup is similar to yours, including the wheels. My question is on the front, what lower control arms are you running? I'm running the SN95s and with a test fit (no tires) it looked like it was gonna be close on the front. Hopefully I will have some tires on there soon.

What about the rear? They didn't even look close to rubbing, SN95 axle??

I run the SN95 arms up front and SN95 axles out back.

The wheels are a 27mm offset. I am running 1/4" spacers out back and they are right at the edge of legality when viewed from above.

I did the same thing out back by bending the edge in line with the stock flare. Since the stock flare is different in the back I had to cut out part of the inner liner to free up the outer skin so I could bang it straight. I had about a 1" gap under the wheel well of open space that I filled with spray-foam.

Michael - are you using SN95 for Fox3 sway bars?

Fox bars.

It was my understanding that SN95 bars wouldn't bolt to a fox and that fitting them in would be against the rules.

Fox bars.

It was my understanding that SN95 bars wouldn't bolt to a fox and that fitting them in would be against the rules.

Think again:

7.33.13 The sway bar(s) may be removed or any OEM factory sway bar(s) may be updated/backdated within the years, make and model groups as follows:

1. 1982-92 GM Camaro and Firebird (all submodels eq – RS, Z28, IROC, including 1LE)

2. 1993-2002 GM Camaro and Firebird (all submodels eq – RS, Z28, SS etc)

3. 1979-2004 Ford Mustang (including Cobra and Saleen models

Bolding is mine.

My brother is running a SN95 sway bar on his AI fox but he had to weld in adapter plates for them to work.

Since doing that is not CMC legal how could we get the SN95 bar to work?