Qualifications for TT?

240Z8

I am very interested in TT, after a couple years of SCCA Solo2 I'm tired of spending all day just to get 10 minutes of seat time.

Do I need to go through HPDE levels before I can TT?

I did a search but could not find an answer.

Thanks!

• National Staff

The short answer is yes, you do have to go through the HPDE system. However, depending on your track experience level, you may not have to start in HPDE1. Although autocross provides one with car control skills that are helpful in road course driving, the two are definitely not the same. Dave Balingit wrote up one of the best descriptions of our HPDE levels on the new Rocky Mountain Region forum here: http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?p=78#post78 To get a NASA Time Trial license one must be successful at the HPDE4 level, and get approved by the region's TT Director.

For an inexperienced track driver with some inherent talent and skill, it generally takes about one full season (without missing any events), to get to the TT level. The time can be shorter or longer depending on prior skill level and experience.

Thanks for the prompt reply, I had a feeling that would be the case. I don't mind "earning" the right to be on the track with qualified drivers, that's a good thing!

While I believe that I would qualify as an "experiened rookie" (2 years autocross, PCA drivers Ed, drags, string of high powered cars, etc.) I welcome the opportunity to improve my skills. Right now the car I just built probably exceeds my ability anyway.

If there are HPDE events in my region (Columbus, Ohio) my NASA dues are forthcoming!

• National Staff

Here's the regional website http://www.racenasa.com/

And here's the schedule:

April 21-23 Mid Ohio

May 20-21 Putnam Park

June 10-11 BeaveRun

July 7-9 Mid Ohio

August 11-13 Mid Ohio

September 11-17 NASA Nationals--Mid-Ohio (no HPDE)

October 7-8 Putnam Park

One More Weekend To Be Determined

Looks like it's time to sign up.

Yahoo! MidOhio is in my backyard and I've actually been on the track before.

I did find this schedule, but did not know for sure if HPDE and TT ran concurrently. Forum surfing is providing even more valuable info.

One new NASA member coming up!

Thanks

Thanks for the prompt reply, I had a feeling that would be the case. I don't mind "earning" the right to be on the track with qualified drivers, that's a good thing!

While I believe that I would qualify as an "experiened rookie" (2 years autocross, PCA drivers Ed, drags, string of high powered cars, etc.) I welcome the opportunity to improve my skills. Right now the car I just built probably exceeds my ability anyway.

If there are HPDE events in my region (Columbus, Ohio) my NASA dues are forthcoming!

Welcome to OH/IN Chapter. It is great to see another Z coming into the field.

Thanks for the welcome, I am just finishing up the overhaul of my 1970 240. Just the usual stuff- 400hp V8, fully adjustable coilover suspn., 12.2 inch vented rotors all round with four piston calipers, etc, etc,

• Members
Thanks for the welcome, I am just finishing up the overhaul of my 1970 240. Just the usual stuff- 400hp V8, fully adjustable coilover suspn., 12.2 inch vented rotors all round with four piston calipers, etc, etc,

Ahhhh!! Welcome to TTUr

• Members
TTUr !? huh.. I meant to say 68hp two stroke, bed springs, rock on a rope, etc. etc.

(No matter what I'm driving I think the TTUr boys will have my lunch)

Im just funnin with ya! Still much discussion about whats gonna happen.

Welcome to the region. Get yourself registered so you can plan your year. The OH/IN schedule is awesome this year and will most likely be sold out at every event. I've spent a few years myself in PCA DE's as well as every level of HPDE the last two years. For me, 2006 will be a full schedule in TTD. Hope to se you there, it's a great grou of people.

John

NASA just added member #122570 to the roster! I've printed out the '06 schedule, but couldn't find registration or car tech. Links from OH/IN region website seem dead?

Forum surfing seemed to indicate that I need to get my car tech'd before I arrive at track?

NASA just added member #122570 to the roster! I've printed out the '06 schedule, but couldn't find registration or car tech. Links from OH/IN region website seem dead?

Forum surfing seemed to indicate that I need to get my car tech'd before I arrive at track?

If you are doing HPDE or Time Trials to start, you will be able to tech the night before the weekend event at the host hotel, or the morning of the event at the track. There are usually four of five of us doing this as drivers are signing in at registration.

Welcome!!!!! As JCB said, you can do tech the night before or the first time you grid to go on track.

I am also from the Columbus area - I think you will find both Putnam and BeaveRun easy to get to as well. They are both less than a 4 hour drive from Columbus. See you at the track!!!!