93-95 Cobra cam and timing set source

jesm

The dealer said they have been discontinued. I don't want to run a used one and I can't run the allowed E303 with a Speed Density setup. I'd rather not convert to Mass Air unless it's my only choice. Is there an allowable substitute for the Cobra cam available aftermarket? Do I have to use a Ford OEM timing set- I expect I do, but I have a really nice double roller on the motor I just bought. Ebay and internet searches haven't led me to anything.

You bring up a good point. If your OEM Cobra engine throws chunks and destroys the cam, where do you get a new OEM cam if you don't want or can't use the "B" or "E" cam? If the older cams have been obsoleted and are unavailable from Ford, I have no idea. But, if there is a source for one, PPI might know.

http://www.performancepartsinc.com/home.html

For me, this has shed a new light on the issue of proposing a short list of additional aftermarket cams that could be used specifically for Ford speed density cars or even the older OEM carbed engines if someone didn't want to build a "spec" carbed engine.

I've always heard you can't run an "E" cam with speed density and that it requires a MAF conversion. However, somebody told me this year that they either were running an "E" cam with speed density or knew of someone who was successfully. I can't remember and I can't prove it, so I'm sticking with my original information, which agrees with yours, that the "E" cam messes with the vacuum signal needed for the speed density computer to properly look up the information on the fuel tables. Just from looking at the specs, I don't think the spec carb engine "B" cam be used with speed density either.

You may already have it, and depending upon where you search on the Internet, there is a bit of variation in the data, but here is a compilation of specs that *should* be reliable. All the cams listed are roller cams and not the earlier flat tappet cams, but not all the cams listed are CMC legal. They are included for reference only. Now you have me wanting to compile a list of OEM flat tappet cam specs for additional reference.

vehicle (part number) / Ford Racing cam letter

Advertised Intake/Exhaust duration

Intake/Exhaust duration at 0.050 lift

Intake/Exhaust valve lift (at 1.6 ratio unless otherwise stated)

Lobe separation angle

1985-1988 Mustang GT (E5ZE-6250-AA)

266 / 266

210 / 210

0.444 / 0.444

1989-1995 Mustang GT (E8ZE-6250-CA / F1ZE-6250-AA)

276 / 266

214 / 210

0.444 / 0.444

1993-1995 Cobra (F3ZE-6250-CA)

270 / 270

209 / 209

0.451 / 0.451 (with 1.6 ratio rockers)

0.479 / 0.479 (with 1.7 ratio rockers)

1996-2001 Explorer (F4TE-6250-BA) (I'm not exactly sure if this is CMC legal or even desirable, but you may have a better chance of it still being available at the Ford parts counter and it was designed to work with the "P" heads and Explorer intake)

256 / 266

186 / 197

0.422 / 0.448

B-cam (CMC legal spec carb engine cam)

284 / 284

224 / 224

0.480 / 0.480

E-cam (CMC legal EFI cam)

282 / 282

220 / 220

0.498 / 0.498

F-cam (not CMC legal)

288 / 288

226 / 226

0.512 / 0.512

X-cam (not CMC legal)

286 / 286

224 / 224

0.542 / 0.542

Z-cam (not CMC legal)

290 / 290

228 / 228

0.552 / 0.552

Not wanting to run used parts is a problem you will have to get over.

There are many, many, many examples of OEM stuff no longer being made by the OEM's. The first case of this I ran into was LT1 heads. Good luck even finding usable used ones around. They are either ported, or require too much decking to be made flat to be legal. I know one person who purchased several sets before finding a usable pair.

21mm rear swaybars for 4th gen are no longer available. Also very hard to find these days.

Running a used roller cam is not anywhere as risky as using a used flat tappet cam. Find a good used cam and go w/ it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a used cam and installed it. Hoping it does the trick and puts me close to max HP for the car's weight. How much fuel in it when I weigh it? Dry? Full? With 270 lb driver?

Make sure you include you and all your safety gear and equipment so you are in "as raced" condition. I say weigh it dry for a good baseline because you can't get any lighter than that, unless you already know what your minimum fuel load is so the engine doesn't sputter around corners.

Got a used cam and installed it. Hoping it does the trick and puts me close to max HP for the car's weight. How much fuel in it when I weigh it? Dry? Full? With 270 lb driver?

CMC rules require you to be at or over minimum weight at anytime on track during competition. For post qual and race tech, that means you must come off track at a legal weight.