Poly bushings, Oops!

lee33lyn

In another post I was talking about wasting money on the wrong new parts. Well, the first thing I did to my cars was put poly bushings everywhere. Now, I find out poly has no business on a race car.

Ok, now what do I replace them with?

Stock rubber?

Front upper and lower A arms are fine w/ OEM rubber or poly.

Sway bars are fine w/ poly as well.

Panhard bar is fine w/ rubber or poly.

Rear control arms - rubber or rodends.

The only place poly is a no no is the rear control arms. If you have poly on one end and rodends on the other, you could be OK.

If it was my car....

rodended panhard bar

rodended rear control arms

and add the Global West bearing kit to the front control arms.

poly torque arm bushing

How much tracktime do you have? If very little to none, make getting the car on track a priority over replacing the bushings. Run what you have until you feel they need serviced/replaced or until you feel that aspect of the car is holding you back. Make the rear control arms and panhard bar the top of the list to swap.

I've been all the way thru HPDE in my vette but didn't want to W2W the vette. So,I decided on the CMC series. Haven't done and racing yet.

But, I have the car tore apart and I'm starting to reassemble. I want to have it ready for the 2013 season.

• Members

Note that you're allowed to slot both the lower and upper arm mounting slots in 4th gens. You dont need to do the uppers to get the amount of camber you want, but if you do you can get a whole pile of caster.

My advice on bushings, for what its worth

Rod ends on the rear arms and PHB. Make your own, they're cheaper. There are several good threads on frrax.com. Dont use urethane on the rear point of the front control arm (the one that has the bolt vertical relative to the ground). Use a spherical kit or rubber. Urethane doesnt have enough range of motion. Use rubber for the front of the torque arm. Again, rubber doesnt have enough range of motion for my tastes.

Glenn is generally faster than I am so you might want to listen to him more.

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking at the Global West Lower Control arm Del-a-lum control arm bushings. They are expensive but can see the advantage. Is there any real reason to do the uppers in Del-a-lum? Front uppers and lowers would be around 425$

Global West is calling the lower "bearings" because of the vertical bolt on the back of the control a bushing wouldn't work.

The lower kit is twice the price of the upper kit.

Global sells a spherical bearing kit for the 4th gen lower but not a Del-A-Lum bushing kit for the 4th gen lowers.

Yes - the bearing kit is what you want for the lowers. I wouldn't bother w/ the uppers unless there is something wrong w/ them.

Global sells a spherical bearing kit for the 4th gen lower but not a Del-A-Lum bushing kit for the 4th gen lowers.

Is this the kit everyone uses?

http://www.globalwest.net/sp-7.html

WOW... it is expensive. I thought I was interested in it until I priced the kit.

Looks like I will be putting stock ones in again.