Comp School Advice

PeteL

I've got two choices for comp school this spring. Autobahn which is probably a 3 hour tow and Mid Ohio a week later which is 4 hours and change. Never been to Autobahn and it doesn't look like an easy track to learn. 19 turns on the 3.5 mile long course.

Should I just wait the week and do it at MO which I am very familiar with?

I'm thinking learning a new track and doing Comp School all in the same day is biting off a little too much.

I've got two choices for comp school this spring. Autobahn which is probably a 3 hour tow and Mid Ohio a week later which is 4 hours and change. Never been to Autobahn and it doesn't look like an easy track to learn. 19 turns on the 3.5 mile long course.

I'm thinking learning a new track and doing Comp School all in the same day is biting off a little too much.

Only you know the answer, however, Autobahn will only be the South track, which is a pretty straight forward track. No real high speeds or blind corners, and little elevation change.

You want to make Comp School about learning race craft. Not about learning a track.

I did the Mid Ohio School. Good practice and challenges to run with. In all honesty, the best training for wheel to wheel is wheel to wheel. Time Trials does a good job for you pushing yourself to run the fastest laps and getting used to traffic (slow and fast).

Im glad you brought this topic up, I was recently looking at into comp school as well. I am in the northeast but do not see any schedule for schools posted yet. I would like to do it at the Glen because I am most familar with that track, but not sure if its ever offered there. I might go with the Great Lakes at Mid Ohio since its early in the year and I have a few days under by belt there as well.

I wouldn't recommend Mid-Ohio. Mid-Ohio is faster and "Looser" than Autobahn. You want everyone including yourself to keep it under control and your practice races and real races on Sunday will be challenging at Mid-Ohio. As Dave pointed out...Autobahn will be the South track and fairly straight forward. You'll have plenty of time doing side by side training to learn the track. Comp school is about running wheel to wheel in traffic and that will be much easier at Autobahn.

Sidney

Autobahn South is only about 2 miles long and maybe 13 turns. Not difficult at all. I think it is a less challenging and slightly more foregiving track than Mid-Ohio, which is a professional track as compared to Autobahn which is a country club track. Plus, the speeds at Mid O are higher.

I love Mid O but I would recommend doing comp school at Autobahn. Then you can run Mid O and focus on the track and not worry about being in comp school.

Didn't realize it was just the south track at AB. That makes the learning curve a little less steep.

I can definitley see where a bunch of rookies trying to drive side by side from Madness through Thunder Valley at MO could be exciting.

Pete,

I would sign up for both and cancel one or the other based on weather. If it's not snowing the weekend of ABCC then cancel Mid-O and vice versa. Although you could get stuck with snow at both tracks both weekends, at least you have a chance of good weather. Mid-O in April will almost always be wet, but it might also be frozen/snowing/icey. I don't know much about ABCC weather in April, but it is Chicago...

• Members

lol hadnt thought about that Todd, but sounds like solid advice for that part of the country!

Spencer, give the other Al a call (All Watson, NE director). His number/email are on the last page of the rules. He ought to be able to give you info on typical school schedules based on prior years if '13 schedules arent out.

Pete,

I don't think it matters which track you do the comp school at but it's very important the car is ready. The first session will be a lead follow so you'll get to learn the track. I did mine at Mid-O in August of 2011. We were on track for 3 hours (6 or 7 sessions, you'll have alot of laps to get familiar with the track) during the day and when you're not on the track you're in class. Not much time to mess with the car. I didn't realize we were going to be on the track that much. I think we started at 8AM and went to almost 8 PM. I had to change brake pads and tires and get gas (didn't have enough with me). I didn't have time to eat lunch. Make sure you have enough brake pads and tires on the car to last the whole day. If you can have someone there with you that can help you that is the best way to do it so you can concentrate on the school. The main things they will be looking for is car control, track awareness, can you follow instructions, do you know the CCR rules and procedures, you'll do practice starts, passing drills and a mock race.

Good luck

Derek Wright

Pete,

I don't think it matters which track you do the comp school at but it's very important the car is ready. The first session will be a lead follow so you'll get to learn the track. I did mine at Mid-O in August of 2011. We were on track for 3 hours (6 or 7 sessions, you'll have alot of laps to get familiar with the track) during the day and when you're not on the track you're in class. Not much time to mess with the car. I didn't realize we were going to be on the track that much. I think we started at 8AM and went to almost 8 PM. I had to change brake pads and tires and get gas (didn't have enough with me). I didn't have time to eat lunch. Make sure you have enough brake pads and tires on the car to last the whole day. If you can have someone there with you that can help you that is the best way to do it so you can concentrate on the school. The main things they will be looking for is car control, track awareness, can you follow instructions, do you know the CCR rules and procedures, you'll do practice starts, passing drills and a mock race.

Good luck

Derek Wright

More excellent advice from a MW/GL hotshoe. I had forgotten how little time you have between sessions. As Derek said, you need to have your car ready to run... there's barely time to fuel up between classroom and track time. Try to paddock with the CMC guys and don't be afraid to ask for them to help if you need fuel, pads changed etc. I promise you that they will be more than willing to lend a hand. My class ended early at about 6pm. There is extra time scheduled until 8pm(?) in case the class is not learning quickly enough.

If your car is ready and you are ready, it'll be easy enough for you.

Excellant comments from all. Sounds like preparation is the key like so many things in life.

I plan to get the car on track at Putnam the first weekend in April to clean the cobwebs off the driver, have plenty of brake, tire and gas on hand for AB but plan MO as a backup