Finally, 17" Rims for your 3rd Gen!

wastntim

I am proud to announce that Heavy Impact Motorsports has teamed up with CTW Motorsports to put to the test their brand new 17" rims for 3rd gen F bodies. With 16" TOYOs likely to become obsolete in the near future (it's going to happen whether we like it or not), a light affordable 17" rim at a reasonable price will quickly become an absolute necessity and Paul, from CTW Motorsports, has provided us with the solution. CTW has designed them and HIM will put them to the test competing in both the midwest and great lakes regions in CMC.

The plan is not only to test the strength and durability of these new rims but also to do a real comparison of the performance differences between the 17" rim running a 275 TOYO as compared to the 16" TOYO on GTA rims with a 255 TOYO and capturing real time data utilizing a traqmate system. This head to head "competition" between the two rims & TOYO sizes should really demonstrate the additional performance that can be found in running a wider lower profile tire. I suspect these rims may be the missing link the 3rd gens have been looking for to compete with the 4th gens.

My initial impressions of the wheels is that they appear to be very well made and have some killer looks, plus coming in at about 20.4#s, they will keep the unsprung weight to a minimum. On top of that these wheels will fit any big brake package you can put in there under the rules, something I will probably take advantage of after my testing is complete. Overall, I can tell you I am expecting great things out of these rims this year and hope to give the 4th gens a real run for their $.

I'm includng some teaser pics. Sorry about the pic quality. I will get some better shots once the weather is better and I can get the car outside. For more information about these wheels please check out CTW's website.

http://www.ctw-motorsports

also like heavy impact motorsports on facebook to see upcoming pics and videos!

Iphone2-4-13170_zps41571fa7.jpg

Iphone2-4-13147_zps58daebc5.jpg

Iphone2-4-13146_zps5237867f.jpg

Iphone2-4-13138_zps76081d29.jpg

Iphone2-4-13164_zps5242e51c.jpg

Iphone2-4-13166_zpscf27007c.jpg

So tell me again how those wheels are different than the 5zigen fno1rc wheel? They look and weigh identical to them.

Here is why our wheels are different than 5zigen:

• They copied our manufacturer's design of the wheel
    We use the flow formed manufacturing technology
    Our wheels are 9.5" wide, something they don't offer (9" or 10" only)
    The wheels have the proper backspacing for 3rd gen applications
    Our wheels have the proper bore size for the hubs (plus the proper center caps to clear the dust covers)
    No spacers needed
    CTW Motorsports wheels feature a single, not double lug mounting pattern for strength
    The wheels offer more brake clearance than theirs by design
    We directly support the GM based aftermarket (including serious motorsports), not the generic import, drifter, and street scene like they do
    We sponsor a CMC car and also a 3rd gen chump car, both of which are highly competitive[list=]

We also sell directly, which allows us to provide superior customer service and support - something you won't get at a wheel store that sells 20 brands for every type of car on the road.

So tell me again how those wheels are different than the 5zigen fno1rc wheel? They look and weigh identical to them.

Our wheels have the proper bore size for the hubs (plus the proper center caps to clear the dust covers)
    No spacers needed
    CTW Motorsports wheels feature a single, not double lug mounting pattern for strength
    We directly support the GM based aftermarket (including serious motorsports), not the generic import, drifter, and street scene like they do
    We sponsor a CMC car and also a 3rd gen chump car, both of which are highly competitive[list=]

We also sell directly, which allows us to provide superior customer service and support - something you won't get at a wheel store that sells 20 brands for every type of car on the road.

Wow, almost no difference at all. I don't know if it's on purpose or not but suck fumes comes off like a dick on the forums. I hope it's just the interweb.

JJ

No spacers needed

Wow, almost no difference at all. I don't know if it's on purpose or not but suck fumes comes off like a dick on the forums. I hope it's just the interweb.

JJ

JJ,

The question is legitimate as the wheels appear to look similar - which they obviously do. It's all good to explain our product.

I'd rather answer someone's questions than have everyone guess if our products are essentially the same (with a different brand name), or are in fact different with numerous positive attributes.

Altough I've known Paul only for a short time, the one thing I can tell you about him is that he extremely dedicated to both his products and his Company. He's truly an F body guy and has set out to make parts for these cars which he knows will make them better and more fun to drive. From day one he was peppering me with questions about CMC racing to better understand our needs and the class itself. I believe that CTW will quickly become an important ally to f body racers in all classes.

Another quick note about the wheels and tires comparison:

The 275 mounted on the CTW rim is approximately 9/16" of an inch wider than the 255 on a GTA rim. Also, the 255 is actually a fraction taller than the 275.

The 275 mounted on the CTW rim is approximately 9/16" of an inch wider than the 255 on a GTA rim. Also, the 255 is actually a fraction taller than the 275.

Are you referring to the section width or tread width of the mounted tires?

255-50-16 should measure 26.0" and 275-40-17 should be 25.7", so that makes sense.

Do you have a weight of each combo? I'm sure everyone wants to know.

Do you have a weight of each combo? I'm sure everyone wants to know.

I'll try to post some weights tonight.

I wasn't trying to be rude or a jerk at all. I was just genuinely asking what the difference was since they look just alike. Now that I know the differences, my questions were answered.