Plans for a Carbureted 302 Ford Motor

DrC

I have been having problems with the electronics for the last year and have come to the point where I am thinking about going to a carburetor set up and dumping the electronics. We do not have anyone in our area that has this set up and hope some of you could help provide some details.

Do you have CMC cars running this set up and what kind of results have they had?

Did they have and difficulty making the change over?

Are the cars still able to make the Hp / Torque numbers?

Does anyone know of an OEM Distributor that you can still buy? Or a part number? Does this mean Points?

Step that I know so far.

Install Edelbrock Intake and Holley carburetor

Ford OEM distributor (non-computer controlled)

Redefine the Fuel system to work with a carburetor’s lower Fuel pressure.

And more I am sure.

Dan... You can use a distributor from a 1985 Mustang with the roller cam. You can get them from Autozone, Advance Auto, etc... Make sure you get one with the steel cam gear if using the B-cam.

For the fuel system you can use an Aeromotive regulator part# 13204. You can modify the pick up for use with braided lines and still use the in tank pump. I would suggest using at least -6 line and make sure the return line is the same size or larger than the feed line. You will have to use a larger tube for the return on the pickup. Just bend a larger tube the same shape as the stocker, TIG it to the plate and TIG the AN fittings on both tubes.

I am not sure on the remainder of the electronics for the ignition as it has been a few years since I have done it and only did it once. I do recall we used all Ford components and it was not very expensive or difficult.

We had 3 carb'd 302s in California this last year, I don't think any of them were making the torque numbers. From my experience (not saying a whole lot), if you build the spec motor it will make the hp not the torque. Who knows it may be a totally different animal when I get it up on the rollers with a throttle stop this year.

At this point it is only Plan B, if I cannot find the problem with the 95 converted to 91-93 Elect.

The car runs good up to 42- 4500 PRM and then it sounds like it is hitting the Rev-limiter.

If anyone knows what this may be I would greatly appreciate the help.

At this point it is only Plan B, if I cannot find the problem with the 95 converted to 91-93 Elect.

The car runs good up to 42- 4500 PRM and then it sounds like it is hitting the Rev-limiter.

Are you sure it is electrical? Have you tried another coil?

I am not much help on tracking down electrical problems.

Of the mechanical variety, it could be the fuel pump not keeping up, restrictive fuel filter, or valve springs.

What cam, springs and rockers are you running?

• 4 weeks later...

How did you convert it to earlier electronics? I believe some pins are different in the ecu connector.

Yes it is moving a lot of Pins around and adding a Barometric Abs. Pressure Sensor - the motor was running good but as soon as I hit 4200 rpm it started having a problem so I have brought a new wiring harness like what is on a Cobra and am in the process of removing all the un-needed components to make it simple and to help remove some weight.