It's the New Guy

peerless

Hello All,

I have just joined NASA this evening and am looking forward to attending a driving school event in early 06'.

What I am unclear on is how much does this cost? Is it really free to attend and participate?

I am currently building a new engine for my car and then replacing the front struts and I am ready to go, after tech inspection of course

I understand a helmet is mandatory for any event, is this correct?

Can I buy a used helmet if its properly rated and within 5 years of manufacture? I can get a new one if mandatory, just curious.

Where do I post concerning what class I should be running in the future?

I have a ton of questions but will leave it with these ones for now.

Thank You for your help;

• National Staff

Welcome to NASA Robert. Let's get you headed in the right direction. As for your first question, there is a $10 track entrance fee at Buttonwillow and Willow Springs, regardless of whether you are a spectator or competitor. Our Cal Speedway events haven't had admission fees, so it is "free to attend". As far as free to participate as a spectator, crew member, volunteer--yes, as a driver, no. Our fees in S. California for BW and WS for HPDE (and Time Trial for qualified drivers) have been about $225 per weekend, or $150 for one day. Cal Speedway is a bit higher due mostly to the cost of renting the track, but it's worth the extra money. Instruction is free after driver fees are paid. Once you move up to the higher HPDE levels, if you want to be timed, there is a transponder rental charge, or you can purchase your own.

You really need to read this entire page http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html, and all of the articles linked to it on the bottom of the page. It will be very helpful. You don't have to worry about car classification for a long time, because it takes a while before a driver is experienced enough to enter any type of competition (TT or racing). Also, you need to read the CCR's (everything that pertains to HPDE). The info you seek about helmets and other safety issues, rules, etc. is in there. http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

So, after you read all of this stuff, your ton of questions will be down to just a few.

Hello All,

I have just joined NASA this evening and am looking forward to attending a driving school event in early 06'.

What I am unclear on is how much does this cost? Is it really free to attend and participate?

I am currently building a new engine for my car and then replacing the front struts and I am ready to go, after tech inspection of course

I understand a helmet is mandatory for any event, is this correct?

Can I buy a used helmet if its properly rated and within 5 years of manufacture? I can get a new one if mandatory, just curious.

Where do I post concerning what class I should be running in the future?

I have a ton of questions but will leave it with these ones for now.

Thank You for your help;

Welcome!

I'll be breif:

No, it's not free, sorry to burst your bubble. With Nasa VA it's roughly $300 a weekend. You can sometimes work events, contact your local region.

For HPDE I Don't think they care as much about helmate age as long as it's not super old. You can use a DOT motorcycle helmate for starters. But, do yourself a favor and don't skimp on safty equipemtn. A few events and a few observed crashes will send this poitnt home.

Don't worry about class. You have to start with HPDE 1 anyhow. And, it'll be at least 1 season, probably 2 or more, before you can go for your comp license. Only once you have your comp license do you have to worry about classing.

Welcome, enjoy, and prepare to be adicted!

Thanks for the information. I do have a copy of the CCR and have just started reading it. I will soak up all the information I can get.

The pricing is about what I would have expected. I am looking forward to this in a big way. I will be trying to get out to the first event at WS in Febuary.

Very Awesome, thank you for getting me started in the right direction.