Exhaust Manifold Question

RacerX1548534736

I am finishing up the installation of the new spec carbed 350 engine in the Firebird and discovered that the Vortec exhaust ports do not have the wide bolt pattern that is required on the passenger side rear port. I've looked at almost every manifold available for F-bodies and all of them have the same problem. The only ones that I can find are the ones that came on the Vortec head trucks. Can I use these legally? What are some of the other guys using?

Gary

Texas Region

CMC 20

I use the regular f-body manifolds and made a contraption to bolt it on the passenger side using the bolt holes on the back of the head.

I think you could use manifolds for the lt1. I believe they have the bolt in the right location. I just got some in case my contraption wasn't going to work.

In the past I have ran without the bolt, it leaks after a while and you have to replace the gasket.

I looked at using the truck manifold on the passenger side, but I don't think it will fit. I think the exit would come out into the fiewall.

• 1 year later...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but by following section 7.8.6 in the CMC rules, I can gut the dash to accommodate the roll cage installation as long as I retain the dash pad and the main dash structure remains securely installed in the OEM location along with the steering column in the OEM location. AND I can remove any vents, switches, controls, glove box doors, ash trays, airbags, gauges, gauge clusters, etc. as long as any openings larger than 6 sq. inches have metal or plastic replacement covers installed in place of those items.

• 1 month later...