SN95 4.6 Transmission Options

blk96gt

The RCR about T5 transmissions has got me thinking about transmission options for the 4.6.

Currently I have the T45 which, while it doesn't seem to be a bad tranny, has no option for a RR 5th. I just switched to 3.27 gears from 3.73. This helped on the one track we run that requires 5th (which we run twice a season.) I'm interested to see how it does on our other tracks.

Not sure when (or if) I'll ever do a tranny swap, but it doesn't hurt to figure out what options are out there. So far from my searching this is what I found will work:

-TKO 5/600 - not sure what all modifications are necessary for fitment, but the cost for a Ford Racing TKO 600 is $2300 and then you'd need to get the 4.6 bell housing.

-TR3550 - don't know what modifications are necessary to get it to fit in a 96-98 or if there is a road race 5th for it.

-T5 - I've heard this will work with some modification, but haven't found many details. This doesn't seem very desirable based on the problems everyone has with these. If you could use an Astro A5 that seems like a pretty desirable option...

-T56 - Seems like a pretty easy option, but does add weight to the car.

Am I missing anything? Anyone have any experience fitting one of these in an SN95?

TR3650 x10!!! They rock. And shift like butter!

You made a smart move going to 3:27's! Those steep gears are rediculous for a road course.

I started CMC mid-summer after buying a competitive 96 mustang last winter. Progressed through HPDE in a SRT8 over the last 2+ years.

I have the same 4.6/3.27's you have and am new but find myself getting pulled out the corners from the guys that have 5.0's and have gone to 3.73/3.90's. The 4.6 is a bit shy on torque so that could explain it (I'm 256/294). I've also found about 130mph is redline and I'm banging on it at VIR's back stretch. I've only run 3 weekends so far but I'm running within a second of the leaders and have a 4th, 3rd, 2nd with fields of 8-12 cars.......one race I had the fastest single lap but couldn't run consistent enough to do better than 3rd that day.

Anyway: I've talked to a guy that builds alot of the trannies for the locals here and he has put a t-5 behind a 4.6. Although people do have issues with t-5's there are numerous guys that say his are bulletproof.......so I engaged him about a switch.

I don't have part numbers but he told me he can replace the bellhousing and fit it to the 4.6 by rotating it slightly and drilling new mounting points. A tranny crossmember/support will be needed as well but that's it. He swears it will be much better than what I have but or course he's trying to sell me something too. From the conversation I was looking at nearly $3000 in parts for a bulletproof/racing 5th t-5 (no trade in), bellhousing, crossmember (or bracket to make mine work.....plus labor if I don't do it myself.

I started CMC mid-summer after buying a competitive 96 mustang last winter. Progressed through HPDE in a SRT8 over the last 2+ years.

I have the same 4.6/3.27's you have and find myself getting pulled out the corners from the guys that have 5.0's and have gone to 3.73/3.90's. The 4.6 is a bit shy on torque so that could explain it (I'm 256/294). I've also found about 130mph is redline and I'm banging on it at VIR's back stretch.

Anyway: I've talked to a guy that builds alot of the trannies for the locals here and he has put a t-5 behind a 4.6. Although people do have issues with t-5's there are numerous guys that say his are bulletproof.......so I engaged him about a switch.

I don't have part numbers but he told me he can replace the bellhousing and fit it to the 4.6 by rotating it slightly and drilling new mounting points. A tranny crossmember/support will be needed as well but that's it. He swears it will be much better than what I have but or course he's trying to sell me something too. From the conversation I was looking at nearly $3000 in parts for a bulletproof/racing 5th t-5 (no trade in), bellhousing, crossmember (or bracket to make mine work.....plus labor if I don't do it myself.

You get pulled out of corners cause your not carrying enough momentum in the corner. The steeper geared cars will always pull harder off the line in 1-2 gear but once you go into 3rd it evens out. If you're at a longer track, staying in 4th will give you an advantage over someone who has to go into 5th. Plus you can be a lot smoother and focus on driving instead of rowing through the gears constantly....and you wonder why trannys are breaking so often in the T5 cars. Shifting constantly doesn't help the lifespan and I'm sure it contributes to part of the problem.

Shifting constantly doesn't help the lifespan...

And neither do standing starts... ...which is why, CMC tradition or not, I am not a fan of them.

You get pulled out of corners cause your not carrying enough momentum in the corner. The steeper geared cars will always pull harder off the line in 1-2 gear but once you go into 3rd it evens out. If you're at a longer track, staying in 4th will give you an advantage over someone who has to go into 5th. Plus you can be a lot smoother and focus on driving instead of rowing through the gears constantly....and you wonder why trannys are breaking so often in the T5 cars. Shifting constantly doesn't help the lifespan and I'm sure it contributes to part of the problem.

Thanks for the feedback, I added all the other info to show I'm new and although doing well, don't have a lot of experience.

So, if you bust a t-45 do you just put a junk yard tranny back in? I also inquired about rebuilding one and it was roughly $2000 (I got a busted spare when I bought the car).

BTW: MA rarely does standing starts but the guys seem to love them (I've never done one nor am I looking forward to it either).

Get a TR3550 or 3650 and rebuild it. The parts are about $1k to do a full rebuild and then you have a new tranny.

Yah I never understood the whole hype about standing starts. All it does is tear up the car and puts a lot of harsh loads on the drivetrain. Plus if someone breaks or stalls then it becomes a hazard!

Shifting constantly doesn't help the lifespan...

And neither do standing starts... ...which is why, CMC tradition or not, I am not a fan of them.

My favorite part of every weekend are the standing starts. Seems that standing starts would kill 1st gears and clutches. Neither of which appear to be a T-5 problem, it's 3rd gears that are the common failure.

Boudy

If anything it's 2nd and 3rd that get the pounding cause people power shift into those gears to get up to speed. Not to mention the load it puts on the diffs with stickier tires.

Yeah thanks for that recommendation on the 3.27's. After talking to you at TWS in April was when I decided to try it. Everyone else kept telling me to go with 3.55 or stick with the 3.73's. I'm still interested to see how they do on the other tracks, but for TWS CCW at least they're perfect. I think they will be pretty good for ECR and MSR-H as well.

TR3650 x10!!! They rock. And shift like butter!

You made a smart move going to 3:27's! Those steep gears are rediculous for a road course.

They are good everywhere!! If you watch my videos you'll see that driving the car is like driving a Lincoln with both hands on the wheel. You can't drive a car smoothly with one hand on the wheel and the other constantly shifting the damn thing. People think its crazy but the lap times don't lie. Smooth is FAST!

• Members

Call me ignorant, but I thought T5 internals would work in a T45? I was under the impression that the only difference was the case itself with a non-removable bellhousing that only fits the weaksauce 4.sux.

• 3 months later...

Bringing this back up because it seemed to get of-topic into gears and standing starts.......

Still interested in T-45 options. The T-45 in the car I bought this past summer will not go into 5th (not that I need it) and I'm worried this thing is going to grenade soon. I was given a spare when I bought the car but it needs a rebuild.

For those that have rebuilt T-45's, did you build them as a factory/stock rebuild or use a "racing" type place like "the T-45 source"?