RCR#11 the 5.3

Al F.

• Members

Discussions on this have been ongoing for some time. Bob Denton actually went through the work of putting a 5.3LS block, heads, and cam into a 4th gen so we could have data in full CMC trim. All of the directors have said data, and its very cool. Essentially the 5.3 in CMC trim is so close to a restricted 5.7LS or 5.7LT that its just ridiculous. The intent is to allow the 5.3LS block, heads, and cam anywhere that is allowed a 5.7LS. You'd need the 5.7 intake, other externals, and electronics.

Any more information? I'd love to see a video of it running on the track.

I'm currently building a 4th gen and would absolutely make this swap. Maybe not right away, but when it comes time for an engine (probably next year), I'd be all over it.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
So what's up? I have a 5.3 on the stand in the shop. Are we good to go or what????

You'll know as soon as the rules are released. The same as everyone else.

• 1 month later...

Doesn't seem to identify if the 5.7 heads or cam are legal on the 5.3? Odds are you only need a short block which can be had for under 500 and swap the 5.7 heads and cam. The 01-02 cam is called a truck cam as it was used in trucks but I don't know if it was in 5.3 or 6.0.

• Members
Doesn't seem to identify if the 5.7 heads or cam are legal on the 5.3? Odds are you only need a short block which can be had for under 500 and swap the 5.7 heads and cam. The 01-02 cam is called a truck cam as it was used in trucks but I don't know if it was in 5.3 or 6.0.

Seems to me the 5.3 heads would be more advantageous, you'd take a compression hit by running the 5.7 heads. That truck cam was definitely in the early iron block 5.3 (but NOT the L33 or the newer illegal flex-fuel engines), not sure on the 6.0 though.