Anyone getting 300 Ft/lbs or more torque out of a 4.6L?????

t500hps

<t>With a 4.6L, where is peak torque?</t>  

5 members have voted

1. 1. With a 4.6L, where is peak torque?

• Over 300
    • 290-299
    • 280-289
    • under 279

I'm a new racer this summer and bought a ready to race 96 SN95 with the 4.6L. It has the PI heads and headers and makes close to the HP limit but well under 300 ft/lbs. Is anyone getting closer to the limit with this motor.......and willing to share how you did it? (even if it's PM's?)

Thanks

I'm a new racer this summer and bought a ready to race 96 SN95 with the 4.6L. It has the PI heads and headers and makes close to the HP limit but well under 300 ft/lbs. Is anyone getting closer to the limit with this motor.......and willing to share how you did it? (even if it's PM's?)

Thanks

I have never been able to get to the 310 number. Last year my 4.6 made the most power and tq. at 264/299. If you find out how to get to 310 please let me know.

JJ

• Members

Could you slap PI heads on a Teskid bottom end? Those engines are legal to run as a whole, and if PI swapping a non-PI engine is OK, this oughtta be too. You get a huge compression bump by putting the 2V PI heads on a Teskid bottom end, would probably give more torque than hp.

I hit 266hp/303tq on mine. I've got a 96 GT with PI heads. The engine was rebuilt at the beginning of the year and bored .20 over.

In all honesty I don't trust the dyno numbers I got. The shop I got it done at was talking about how all the new GT-500's were getting about 10 more HP on their dynos than others were seeing. I watched him set all the dyno parameters to what they were supposed to be, so I don't know where else a discrepancy would be. I plan to use a different dyno shop for next year.

If I get the same numbers on a different dyno, I honestly couldn't tell you why mine makes more. The mods I have are underdrive pulleys, PI heads (2004 cast), stock headers, no mufflers, and a Steeda Timing Adjuster with 2* of timing pulled. When the engine was rebuilt I went with the same dish piston and even the same crappy hypereutectic material as stock.

Could you slap PI heads on a Teskid bottom end? Those engines are legal to run as a whole, and if PI swapping a non-PI engine is OK, this oughtta be too. You get a huge compression bump by putting the 2V PI heads on a Teskid bottom end, would probably give more torque than hp.

I built this engine with as high compression as I could run within the rules. Long tubes, timing adjuster, underdrives (you don't want to run underdrives on a Mod motor) and everything else I could run within the rules. The newly rebuilt engine did not make as much power as the one I'm running now. I bought the car from Tony G and pulled the heads off and put them on the aluminum block. After I broke the oil pump gears from running the underdrives and burned up the six month old aluminum engine I took the old block that had been sitting for six months with water in two of the cylinders and bought a set of heads off craigslist and threw it all together to make the balance of the season (two years ago). This engine smokes at startup and even in first gear will roll off the tilt trailer (it will not hold itself in gear). It made more h/p and tq. than the high dollar rebuilt high compression aluminum engine did. For me it's not worth the extra weight you have to carry to run the aluminum block. I can't tell you why this wore out engine makes more power than the newly rebuilt one did but I know Jeff Burch ran a really loose engine in his third Gen and he never had a problem making the old CMC1 numbers.

JJ

Well Im in the range anyway....Im at 254/291 with PI heads, long tube headers and underdrive pulleys. A buddy keeps telling me to get the steeda timing adjuster so I guess that's next on my list. Any idea what that alone might add?

Well Im in the range anyway....Im at 254/291 with PI heads, long tube headers and underdrive pulleys. A buddy keeps telling me to get the steeda timing adjuster so I guess that's next on my list. Any idea what that alone might add?

If I remember the timing adjuster will get you 7-10 HP maybe 5 tq.

Get rid of the underdrives! I did not lose one bit of power getting rid of the crank pulley from the underdrive kit. I still run the water pump and alternator pulleys that came with the kit but I went back to the large heavy stock crank balancer after braking the oil pump gears on a missed shift.

JJ

You're already "there", for the most part.

FWIW, my CMC car never made the TQ number. I tried 6 different exhaust systems, different headers, etc.....it was close (in old CMC trim, it was in the high 280s, in CMC2 trim, it never got past that). I finally decided to stop throwing money at it, and focus on something else.....during the last few years I raced, I focused on suspension setup, and driving. You can get around that ~19ft/lb deficiency the same way.

I ran a decent gear (3:73s), but learned to take advantage of the strengths, and defend the weaknesses.

FWIW, my CMC car never made the TQ number. I tried 6 different exhaust systems, different headers, etc.....it was close (in old CMC trim, it was in the high 280s, in CMC2 trim, it never got past that). I finally decided to stop throwing money at it, and focus on something else.....during the last few years I raced, I focused on suspension setup, and driving. You can get around that ~19ft/lb deficiency the same way.

I ran a decent gear (3:73s), but learned to take advantage of the strengths, and defend the weaknesses.

Don't get me started on carb'd 302 torque numbers...

The car was competitive with the previous driver and I'm doing well so far. I've run 4 weekends, the first being the weekend I got my comp license. In those 8 races I have a 9th/4th, 3rd/2nd, 2nd/5th, 6th/and FIRST in that order with fields from 8-13 cars. My 5th would have been first but I took myself out in the rain and the first was also a rain event. At a very hot July event I posted the fastest lap time but couldn't run enough of them consistently to be in front.

I have a set of 3:73 in a box the previous owner said didn't perform well and the car has 3:27's......dam T45 with a 5th gear that doesn't even work so that needs to be fixed but I don't use it anyway. (VIR is the fastest track where we hit roughly 130....I'm on the rev limiter in 4th at that point). I'm able to brake with most of the guys and even corner as well or better than some of them but those dam 5.0's (or 5.7 chevys) simply pull away from me out of the corners.

I think the Directors are aware that this motor does not easily hit the "peak" numbers. W/ that said, its not always the peak numbers that matter.

In CMC1 trim (230 hp and 300tq), the LT1 had peak tq at 2K. From there it was all downhill. So in the RPM range we race in, the LT1 was disadvantaged if you look at it on paper. However, the laptimes didn't support what the dyno said.

I suspect this is the case w/ the MOD motor. It isn't making the peak numbers, but the area under the curve is good enough to run top times.

Other things to consider is the RPM limit (rev range) the MOD motor has. At what point does the ECU rev limit kick in?

240hp/280tq.

Like others have said, focused on suspension and brakes. Motor just does not make power. 4.6 with PI heads and intake. Judging by my numbers, doubt I have the cam. Build sheet that came with my car is lacking.

She will run up front. But you have to drive the tires off the car. 4.6 seems to like long straightaway tracks for me. Lets the motor stretch its legs. Short tracks that put you under the tq meat = not fun unless you can switch rear ends for every track.