RR tires in 2014

Al F.

• Members

I was informed today that CMC will allow running Toyo RR tires next year. Nasa wants us to allow these after the 2nd event of 2014 for each region. Thats a region specific adoption date, in order to give everyone equal chance to burn off existing RA1s. The RA1 will continue to be legal. No, there are no 16" 255 RRs.

Sorry if this makes things hard on anyone.

Will the RA1 be legal after the 2nd event as only a rain tire or allowed as a primary tire along with the RR? I have 3 sets of RA1's in various states ranging from brand spanking new to fairly used up. Can I use them up in 2014 and not have to run the RR or do I have to run the RR at some point next year?

I see no 17 inch tire, is that gonna change and be available next year?

Confused...me too after I just read what I typed

• Members
Sweet! The RR lasts longer anyway and has more grip. Couldn't ask for anything better!

I think you missed the part where they don't exist. . . Or am I missing something?

• Members

Will they be cheaper or more expensive than the RA1? That's really my only concern since you've expressed they perform better and last longer. I can't price what doesn't exist though, and since I'm sitting on 4 corded tires, I'm in the market.

For the Spec iron 18" ones they are about $40 more each. I would assume the 17" ones would be a lot closer in price to a shaved 17" RA1. I can tell you on the SI car I have over 10 heat cycles on the RR's and they are barely half worn and they come new with 4/32 tread. I was only getting one weekend (sometimes two depending on track) out of the RA1's but I also buy them at 3/32 new.

Will they be cheaper or more expensive than the RA1? That's really my only concern since you've expressed they perform better and last longer. I can't price what doesn't exist though, and since I'm sitting on 4 corded tires, I'm in the market.

A quick check on the teh interwebs, comparing 18" RA1 vs. RR, shows about $20-$40 per tire increase, but the RR doesn't require shaving, so the price should be close. Maybe a $10-$20 overall increase.

But if it lasts longer, then you're annual cost might go down.

Still need a set of RA1s for the rain though.

I never buy rains cause it rarely rains on the weekends of our events. Every once in a while it does but not enough to justify buying rain tires. You would need standing water all over the track to need rains. Otherwise if its just damp the drys work perfect.

I never buy rains cause it rarely rains on the weekends of our events. Every once in a while it does but not enough to justify buying rain tires. You would need standing water all over the track to need rains. Otherwise if its just damp the drys work perfect.

Unless you race outside of TX...

• Members
Why would you want to do that? Texas is the best!

If it's so great, then why do you take the summer off?! I can always put more clothes on, but I can only get so naked. Unless you're referring to that massive field.

The ra1 will continue to be legal rain or dry. AI is going to the rr first of the year. Toto is supposed to have 17 275a soon...

Thank you......A buddy called me last night to say after the first event we would be required to run the RR unless it's wet/raining. I told him that it seemed rediculous to not allow the old tire if it's considered inferior to the new.

• Members
The ra1 will continue to be legal rain or dry. AI is going to the rr first of the year. Toto is supposed to have 17 275a soon...

I've never seen a transition like this before. Will there be enough tires at the beginning of the season or will there be a backlog?

Also, I'm a little irked that we have to wait to run them unless supply will be an issue, because I have no RA1s to burn off. Unless this region specific adoption date means we can move it forward locally?

From a friend -- 275/40ZR17, 255/40ZR17 and 235/40ZR17 RR will be launched in December. No word on amounts or fill rates.

If we cannot get the RR (they become sold out) -- we have to run RA1s...and not be competitive? Tire changes always are tough transitions.

I'm not going to get 3 sets of RRs to start my season with 2 sets of RA1s to burn off. Money is an object to me.

I've never seen a transition like this before. Will there be enough tires at the beginning of the season or will there be a backlog?

Also, I'm a little irked that we have to wait to run them unless supply will be an issue, because I have no RA1s to burn off. Unless this region specific adoption date means we can move it forward locally?

I'm in the same boat as you. I would rather run the RR starting January cause I don't want to have to buy more RA1's just for two races then not be able to sell or get rid if them. But I'm sure we are the minority as everyone probably has a lot of unused RA1's.

• Members
What is the date of your 3rd event for your region?

RM's 3rd event is May 24-25 at Topeka. Too bad we can't count TX events since we're like cousins. The 3rd event is also our first crossover. I don't know that I'd need RR, but since I'm in the market I'd like to get what's faster if prices are comparable.

Why not just run used tires?

I'm in the same boat as you. I would rather run the RR starting January cause I don't want to have to buy more RA1's just for two races then not be able to sell or get rid if them. But I'm sure we are the minority as everyone probably has a lot of unused RA1's.