NASA Great Lakes / Midwest Videos

Smike

• Members

Hmm, the rookie at RA didn't appear to be displaying 48 square inches of orange goodness. I did laugh inside every time you grabbed 5th gear though, what a buzzkill! Can you just slap a 4 banger 5th gearset in there or is it more involved than that? I do love my .8 5th gear, 93 only!

Thanks for sharing, I know it take a lot to edit them for release.

Very welcome Dan.

Hmm, the rookie at RA didn't appear to be displaying 48 square inches of orange goodness. I did laugh inside every time you grabbed 5th gear though, what a buzzkill! Can you just slap a 4 banger 5th gearset in there or is it more involved than that? I do love my .8 5th gear, 93 only!

Yeah, the T-45 and a 3.73 rear end + RA = no go. A bit more involved. I went an odd route. Dropped rear to 3.31. Effectively, I can ignore 5th. 4th will top me out around 135-140. Shaved seconds off Mid-Ohio where I had the same shifting issue. Now can run MO in 3 and 4. Cut out 3 shift points.

• Members

I've thought about 3.42 and a 94-97 gearbox for mine (have 93 box with low 1-3 and 3.73 currently) with my 93's short 5th for Miller. 2nd is only used for flying starts at the moment as 3rd will roast the tires around the tightest of corners, so the only gears I use on track and 3, 4, and 5. You're not the first to go with taller gears and be happy with them, makes me think a 3.42 with the aforementioned transmission would be the ticket. With the .8 5th, I'd have a top speed of 159.

I've thought about 3.42 and a 94-97 gearbox for mine (have 93 box with low 1-3 and 3.73 currently) with my 93's short 5th for Miller. 2nd is only used for flying starts at the moment as 3rd will roast the tires around the tightest of corners, so the only gears I use on track and 3, 4, and 5. You're not the first to go with taller gears and be happy with them, makes me think a 3.42 with the aforementioned transmission would be the ticket. With the .8 5th, I'd have a top speed of 159.

Yeah, spend a good amount of maths and money on this project. It was this or a trans overhaul. The 0.8 5th isn't easy to come by anymore. A 6sp box is an option (expensive option). Ended up with lesser cost change and evaluation. Works well on fast tracks; however, for tight short sprint tracks that have a fair amount of low speed pulls (Putnam). 3.31s are too low. And I'm not bringing to rear axle assemblies.

I changed from 3.73's to 3.27's and couldn't be happier. Still need to run them on a couple more tracks, but I think they will work great.

100% with you. Do you swap for tracks that need the 3.73s still?

Nah I just keep the 3.27's. It's not worth the effort to me to swap gears around all the time.

Now you guys are seeing the light!! Haha I've been preaching the 3:27's for a while but everyone thinks I'm crazy. The steeper gears may be good for the Mickey Mouse tracks but you will get smoked on the big boy tracks with them.

Nah I just keep the 3.27's. It's not worth the effort to me to swap gears around all the time.

Same here. We took off the slower tracks from the 2014 schedule. Be interesting to see if I can stretch my cars legs and keep up front. I haven't been back to RA with the 3.31s yet. Looking forward to that race.