fuel line routing...

37Stang

How are you all routing your fuel lines?

I am in the process of plumbing the Mustang and am using a mechanical fuel pump and -6 braided teflon line.

I have considered routing it on the outside of the left subframe connector then up through the left front fender well. For those of you familiar with Mustangs, my plan is sort of like the stock routing just on the other side of the car due to the mechanical pump... My concern in doing it this way is that the line is exposed in the location where it transitions from the underside of the car into the front fender well. Maybe I am "over thinking" it???

I have looked at some fuel line routing on rally cars and a few a-sedan cars. It seems most of those folks route the fuel lines through the interior. I am apprehensive of this method due to obvious reasons.

Any suggestions, pics, etc... would be greatly appreciated.

I have mine routed through the interior. I have a third gen and not a mustang though, but the thought should still be the same. I figure it is safer inside the car than inbetween a frame rail where it could get pinched in an accident. Or under the car where it could get punctuured by something you run over.

I know there are reasons for doing it either way, there are less leak points for sure outside the car, becasue there are no bulkheads to go through.

I'm working on this exact issue right now. I'm planning on going through the interior. As much as that doesn't sound great, it's better than having it next to the exhaust that we are fabricating.

I went thru the interior, along side of the center hump.

Rear bulk head fitting just to the passenger side of the center hump, and ran the lines down the side of the center hump to bulk head fittings on the passenger side of the firewall.

Stock car guys run in the interior, but some of them run the lines thru steel tubing to protect them. That's good for protection, but not good for detecting any small leaks.

• Members

I'd be inclined to keeping the factory midsection of line if it's not rotted out, after all it is hardline. That said, if I did go through the interior, I think I'd want to snake it through some metal conduit like you see for electrical wire no matter how tough the hose was. I'm weirdly anal like that though. Another plus is it gives you something straight to fasten your battery/cool suit/fire bottle harness to so it doesn't droop over time and look lame. Plus that (minimal) weight is low, centrally located, and not excessive enough to garner the stink eye from the scrutineer.

• 10 months later...