Future CMC SN95...

37Stang

Very nice.

I'm extremely impressed with the organization, neatness, and easy access of the wiring.

Thanks Scott... The electrical system took much longer to do than expected. As do most things with a new build...LOL!!! I used GM Weatherpack connectors throughout the system so everything is "plug and play". When I put the car back together after paint it took less than a hour to put the entire electrical system back in the car.

When I built the car I tried to pay attention to the "what if" scenarios and built just about everything so one person could take the car apart and put it back together. For example, no one would have to be on the "top side" holding a wrench while someone else was below tightening a nut. I can't even begin to count how many "riv nuts" I used for mounting brackets, wire loom, etc...

I'd have even settled for functional.

I see a carb on there, were the build details in another thread?

I didn't do an official build thread... It is really a very simple build. I upgraded the suspension with pieces that are CMC legal with a focus on what will be needed in the future and will be compatible.

The engine came out of an Explorer and I converted it to Mustang accessories and installed a stock Mustang GT cam. I am using a mechanical fuel pump as I just wanted to focus on simplicity and reliability.

car looks good there should be a large group of cmc cars at vir in October and should be a good time for our last race of the year.

Terry

Thanks Terry... I am really looking forward to it. If you don't mind, I am sure I will have about a 1000 questions for you guys at VIR...

Any reason you didn't keep it EFI?

I purchased the car as a roller and it didn't have any of the fuel injection components. I don't believe it even had the engine harness... Instead of chasing everything down it seemed easier to just run the carb. Another reason is that I am familiar with carbs.

I may consider trying EFI at a later date. I have so many Mustang components from Fox body cars I have done over the years I probably have the majority of stuff needed packed away someplace. The problem would be digging it out of the boxes... LOL!!!

I purchased the car as a roller and it didn't have any of the fuel injection components. I don't believe it even had the engine harness... Instead of chasing everything down it seemed easier to just run the carb. Another reason is that I am familiar with carbs.

I may consider trying EFI at a later date. I have so many Mustang components from Fox body cars I have done over the years I probably have the majority of stuff needed packed away someplace. The problem would be digging it out of the boxes... LOL!!!

This all sounds so familiar.

I am going to start out with a carb because that's what was originally in the car (85 GT). But, I too have so many pieces and parts that I could fairly easily put together an EFI system for it. That may be a project the kids who are putting together my car will want to tackle in the future. The one thing I am not looking forward to running a carb car is going though the potential jetting changes based on the altitude differences between the tracks we normally run on. A track like Hallett is at only 1000ft, but Pikes Peak International Raceway is nearly 5400ft. In between at Hastings is 1900ft and Pueblo is at 4900ft and High Plains is 5000ft. I hate to jet it and leave it for one particular set of tracks and then be at a disadvantage at a different elevation. If I had to pick a specific altitude based on the primary tracks we run on, I'd probably set it up for around 5000ft.

EFI would just make it so much simpler to deal with altitude changes.

I wonder if anyone doing the Pikes Peak Hill Climb still uses a carb and how they deal with the altitude change?

• Members

Ahh, I was under the impression you'd put yourself through asspain to remove EFI. Makes total sense now.

Scott, I'm sure you already know this, but an 86 harness plugs right into the 85 and gives you SD EFI. I ran my Crown Victoria on SD with HO bottom end, stock HO cam, Cobra 1.7 RRs, GT40P heads and intake, and BBK shorty headers. The only thing that it really did that was weird was it had a tip in hesitation which I remedied with increased fuel pressure, it was too dumb to trim the fuel there. WOT AFRs were in the high 12s for me, and I didn't have to rejet to visit home in MI which was part of why I ditched the carb on that car in the first place.

On that note, when I did convert my 289 (~9.5:1 CR, cam similar to HO cam and heads that flowed nearly identical to E7s) to EFI (with GT40P intake manifold) from carb (Edelbrock 600 with Weiand Stealth intake) I lost no top end, but everything from and idle up was substantially stronger. That carb was tuned for stoich cruise and 12.9:1 WOT and, IIRC, I'd curved the distributor to deliver 36 degrees by 2,500 RPM. The car was strong after I finished the carb/dist tune but was miles stronger with a stock HO ECM and 14 degrees base timing (was 16 with the carb). Be sure to hit the dyno and see what it makes, you can compare to all the EFI cars and see if that's something you want to prepare for at some point.