Thoughts on the various Mustang suspension kits?

Dillon

Apologies if this has been posted before, I tried searching and there is just SO MUCH info out there, I'm hoping someone can lay it out plain and simple for me...anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm buying a 99-04 'Stang soon. Not as a CMC car (maybe some day), but I thought I'd ask this here, because I know a lot of racers have experience with starting with a relatively stock car and building it up. The goal for this car is something that can handle potholes (Denver has some pretty gnarly ones) and not make a significant other say "what the hell is wrong with this car, why is it making all those creaking noises?" But at the same time, something that stays planted on track. Keep in mind I'm not limited by CMC rules, but don't want to go crazy either.

Some kits I've seen that interest me:

MM Road & Track

Griggs GR40 Super Street

AJE "Street Application"

Eibach Pro System Plus

And of course there are a ton of other companies out there that don't make "kits", but make everything needed to piece one together. The strange thing to me is that all of these kits come with different components. Some are obviously more complete than others, but having never laid a hand on Mustang suspension, I'm not sure what all to get. It's all a bit overwhelming What would you get if you were me? Suppose I should also mention, my budget isn't unlimited, thinking $2500ish max for suspension work. I could stretch that if it were worth it though.

I really like my MM gear. I originally went with them over Griggs since they were more stout and I knew it was going to have to withstand potholes, etc. What I can't be for sure is if the Griggs components I looked at were their severe duty model or not so I guess that could have impacted my decision.

I did get a significant amount of NVH, but that's a combination of the sphericals, rear seat removal and exhaust dumps. I do not have any creaking except on my driveway if I hit it at an angle. I'm running the H&R Race springs so they don't beat you up too much on the street.

If I have it out in Apr, feel free to come take a look at it although I may bring out a different car.

I don't think you could go wrong with MM or Griggs. Both are solid enough and have a big enough catalog that you could add additional parts later.

Thanks, that would be awesome. With any luck I am hoping to have the car (with some decent mods) out at PPIR for April. When you say sphericals, I assume you mean rear LCAs? I hear those are pretty much a must. Slightly off topic but how about torque box reinforcement, is that necessary too (assuming I'll be doing 3-5 track days a year)?

I've got the MM extreme duty LCA which have the spherical bearings on both ends. Probably not necessary but I wanted it stout enough to hold up to hard launches. Since everything was coming apart anyway, I had the Wild Rides Lower reinforcements put in for peace of mind. At the time, I wasn’t sure how much power I was going to add and wanted a set-up stout enough that I could run on the street, track and strip without issue. I didn't get the upper reinforcements since I was eventually getting a torque arm.

I would have liked to have tried the TA on the track but it's still sitting on my garage floor. Probably won't ever get to it as my focus is now on the racecar (unless CMC eventually allows a TA on a Ford )

That is one thing I always wondered about. Didn't F-bodies come with a TA from the factory? So why not allow the Fords to have one? I'm guessing mainly because it's just one more expensive part to install (and it's not at all factory)...but I'm sure that's already been a hotly debated subject at some point in the past

Anyway. I've been doing a ton of research and I think I've decided not to go with a kit, but to piece together something. Not only will it be cheaper, it will be a better handling car in the long run. Plan is PHB / TA / RLCAs from MM in the rear, some sort of tubular A-arms in the front, bump steer correction kit, and Konis w/ Eibach lowering springs all around (seems to be cheaper than coilovers and I don't think I'll need ride height adjustment just yet).

You'll need SFC with the MM TA....actually that would be my first mod.

Random thoughts.... Another option is Steeda's 5 link .

My cobra is up in east Denver (DIA area) now if you want a close up look of the MM gear. I could even bring up the TA if you wanted to check it out.

JP

Oh yeah, SFC and torque box reinforcements are definitely going to be my first mods, after reading up on them. I'll probably have Hanksville build me some (I don't know how to weld, so it might be cheaper than buying them pre-fabbed and paying someone to weld them in). Would love to check out the MM gear...DIA area isn't exactly close to me but I'm sure we could work something out.

Off topic, but who all runs an SN95 in Rocky Mountain? I know Dave B has (or had) one, and I've seen a green one and orange one out occasionally. I think I have a good understanding of the Mustang rear suspension now, but I'll take all the help I can get when it comes to actually doing the mods Especially interested in meeting up with anyone who owns a 5.0 SN95, as I may be going that route instead...think I have found one I like, at a much nicer price than the new edge cars I've been looking at. Having an extra $2-3K to spend on brakes and safety gear sure sounds good.

• Members

Dave's is an Edge. The green one got wiped out back in Oct 2012, there's a black/green one driven by Vogl, a black one driven by Brost (he did comp school with me last Oct), and that's really all I can think of. Email [email protected] as he's got the full roster. Then of course Wutapex is in the process of purchasing an SN95. Oh, and Cole has an Edge as well. I think by now it ought to be un-blown up. If you want to go fast, just get an F-body.

Bwuh? Isn't Dave's a '98? And I think we have enough F-bodies in RM...pretty sure my Ford-loving family would disown me if I bought a chebby anyway I'll shoot Brad an email once I have a car and start getting serious about building it.