Fire Extinguisher Mounting

peerless

I would like to mount a single halon fire extinguisher in my 85' BMW and wondering if I could mount it to the floor board in front of the front seat. Since I have no reason to move the seat forward, is this acceptable?

This makes it within quick reaching distance and is out of the way.

I don't like the idea of mounting it on the passenger A pillar like I see so often. That bothers me becuase it could tear loose in a severe accident as well the possibility of a passenger hitting their head on it in a accident.

This is a street car for now so I don't have a cage to mount it to.

Thanks Again,

First of all you should be using an all metal mounting bracket installed properly so it can't come loose. I've never seen one mounted to the A-pillar, but that sounds like a terrible location. It should also be mounted such that you can reach it with your belts snugged up tight, if possible. You are correct that it should also be mounted so that nobody's head can hit it - especially since it's a street car which will be driven without helmets. And remember that belts (and your body) stretch in a serious collision, check for possible impact zones without belts. For a street car with stock belts and no need to adjust the seat, right in front of the driver's seat is a pretty good spot, though you should practice getting it while belted in since you'll be working blind.

Thanks for the reply. I will locate it in front of the seat as discussed. Sounds like the best spot I can think of in this car. I will get a Halon with a double strap steel bracket. That should do the trick.

Thanks Again.