Who is running Stoptech brakes

t500hps

I currently run the Cobra brakes with Carbotech XP12 pads. I've been happy with braking power but replace pads/rotors every other weekend. I also have not run anything else so can't say one system is better than another. Some buddies run Wilwood and state they get 3 weekends out of pads/rotors so switching to them would seem pointless (yes I know eventually the Cobra calipers are going to warp but pad wear is even for the moment).

Another buddy is pushing the Stoptech CMC kit hard and claims "people" are getting a full season out of pads/rotors.......if find this hard to believe. Anyone run Stoptech and willing to post their experience?

I'm running OEM 4th gen stuff and get a season out of rotors.

XP10 pads last about 4 weekends or so.

I have Stop Tech's on the shelf but don't see a need to put them on yet.

I have run the StopTechs for the last 3+ years and they are great!!! The modulation is nice and I do feel they help in performance but the main plus with them is cost savings and maintenance.

With the Cobra setup I was going through pads every 2-3 events and rotors every 2 events.

With the Stoptechs, I get 5 events out of a set of pads (PFC01's). The pads are more expensive (about $350/set) but last over twice as long.

I also finally bought a new set of rings at 2 1/2 years of use. They were still good but figured it would be smart to put on a new set and then keep the old set as spares.

The cost savings on rotors plus the bonus of not worrying about cracked rotors b/w races, quick pad wear, spreading calipers, etc was well worth the up front cost.

I have a season and a half on my stop techs and the only complaint I had was they come realllly close to the inside of the wheel. And I've tried several so it's not just one. They were actually flexing under load and rubbing the inside of the wheel but once they ground themselves down they are fine now haha. I get prob 2-3 events out of pads but I change them before they get to thin for safety reasons. Rotors are original from last year and still have no cracks. I like the kit!

Thanks for the feedback, hopefully more will follow. I have gotten a sweet deal with Carbotech discounting pads since I have their name all over my car.....but buy a set every 2 race weekends. Advanced and Auto Zone are eventually going to get upset how "my son" keeps trashing rotors on his mustang but they have warranty replaced 2 sets each in 1.5 years. Over a year on rotors sounds crazy, I even tried cyro-treated rotors with my Cobra setup and only got a 3rd weekend out of them. As for pads, not even sure what I'd run if I switched to Stoptech????

Have you tried Hawk pads with the same setup?

We formerly ran XP10s because we were told the XP12 were too much for The Pumpkin and our rotor life would suffer. We thought we were doing OK by only using about 2.5 sets of front pads and one set of rotors per year. But we heard good things about the Hawk DTC60s and ended up trying those and liking them better than the Carbotechs. They were also slightly cheaper with better contingency money. They seemed to have a good initial bite with better modulation than the Carbotechs. I think we are also seeing better rotor life and less pad use per season.

So what pads are people running? I know two on a Mustang run PFC (around $350) and another Mustang ran XP10's but now Hawks. Another Camaro running Porterfields. I have run the XP10's on the stock brakes and figured that would be the way to go on Stoptechs. Price is around $200 for the XP10 stoptech pad.

• Members

Not on Stoptechs, but I've switched to Raybestos ST43. Having previously run the XP10 and DTC60, I can say they feel a lot like the DTC60 but are more confidence inspiring when stone cold. They're supposed to be easier on the rotors, last forever, and I think they'll make them in any shape you want if you ask nice. I ran them for 3 events on my Z06 in HPDE last year and saw very, very little wear but then again I wasn't running hot for a full session with all the slowpokes they let in there. I did manage to kill a set of DTC60 in just 2 events last year on the Camaro, though admittedly both were at High Plains Raceway which is the hardest of the 3 local tracks on brakes. I'm curious to see over the course of a season how the ST43 longevity is, they still look brand new with zero taper (C5 brakes) after my first race weekend with my fastest lap on the last race being the 2nd fastest in CMC that day (point being yes, I am using my brakes). A lot of Corvette guys have been switching over to them and they all rave about pad life.

I've got the Stop Techs on order, and should hopefully have them on the car before the next race. I've been running the Cobra setup with PFC01's and recently the DTC70s. I felt the 01's had a better feel, were easier on rotors, and overall just a better pad. I tried the 70's since they were cheaper. They're not a bad pad, but after using both the 01's and the 70's I'll be going with the 01's when my Stop Tech setup comes in.

As far as rotor/pad life, I usually get 2-3 weekends out of both. Sometimes less, sometimes a bit more. I tend to err on the side of caution though and replace pads while they still have some life left in them. These then get used as backups or I'll burn through them at a DE.

I'm not sure where you're getting your Cobra rotors from, but I've used Autozone, O'Reilly, and NAPA and haven't noticed a difference in rotor life. The Autozone rotors are the cheapest at ~$32 each, but I'm pretty sure they would benefit from being turned.