jacking plates

MHISSTC

What is the thought on jacking plates?

I searched and couldn't find any reference to them in the latest version of the rules or in prior forum discussions.

Specifically, if not currently allowed because the rules don't say that you can have them, would folks be in favor of specifically allowing jacking plates that attach to the rockers, one on each side of the car at the CG point, similar to the ones that Watson Racing sells?

http://shop.watsonracing.com/product-p/wr-jackplate.htm

WRjackpoint_zpsa85e0fd5.jpg

I have a 95 and would love to have a good safe place to jack the car up when at the track. A lot of the time we are not on a hard surface and it is hard to get the jack under the car where it will support the car, this would greatly help.

Thanks for your addition. I agree.

Looking under several of my foxes, it's clear that not all of the prior owners used the recommended jacking points on the unibody. And if they did, some of them must have used bottle jacks or jack stands with very small contact points. I ran across these made for the S197 recently and thought they would be a perfect solution to the less than ideal OEM jacking points.

The reason I specifically brought up jacking pads instead of jacking rails is because it would be very hard to view a jacking pad such as the one I posted the picture of as a "performance enhancing" item since it does nothing to make the car go faster, handle better, or stiffen the chassis. The only thing I can think of it accomplishing is added convenience and potentially safety when working on the car, especially at the track. Jacking rails on the other hand could have a side benefit of increasing chassis stiffness, increasing performance, etc.

I know some folks use their subframe connectors as jacking rails, but depending on how the subframe connector is located and constructed, I could see that not always being the best solution for a good easily accessible and stable jacking point.

You can add subframe connectors, and they make great jack point locations.[/quote

The Pumpkin, for example, is only one of the cars out there that does not have subframe connectors installed and could benefit from the addition of jacking points. These seem to be a fairly simple and straight forward non-performance enhancing alternatives.

I guess we've found our first RCR for 2015.

Sure. I need to add lots of weight to my car and would love to be able to make some super heavy jacking plates on the rear of the car. I'm guessing I could get easily get 30 lbs of weight added on each side in front of the rear tire.

Submit an RCR.

Sure. I need to add lots of weight to my car and would love to be able to make some super heavy jacking plates on the rear of the car. I'm guessing I could get easily get 30 lbs of weight added on each side in front of the rear tire.

Submit an RCR.