Rain tire question??????

t500hps

I have an older set of R888s in 275/40/17 that I've kept for rain tires but I'd like to use that set of wheels (17 x 9 FR500s) for another set of dry RRs. I've come across a deal on a brand new set of 2011 date R888s in 255/50/16. I happen to have a set of 16 x 8 wheels sitting in the garage and a buddy that wants to buy my 17in R888s (cheap since they have a weekend of dry sessions on them)

Anyone have opinions about using that tire size for rains? The 16s are .4 inches taller and .6 inches more narrow than the standard 17in tire size. In my limited experience, having never run 16s, I don't see a problem........any opinions?

The R888 was the only legal tire we were to run in CMC back in 2010 I think. It wasn't that great...at least that's my experience with it. After 2010 the RA1 came back.

However, I ran 2 used 888's and 2 used RA1's during an enduro (just trying to use up left over tires) at Pueblo back in 2013 I think, had my fastest lap times ever at that track.

• Members

I remember hearing about that (RA1 going away and coming back) but the only 2 tires we're allowed to run right now are the RR and RA1, with the RA1 being the rain tire.

Correct, the RR and RA1 are the only tires allowed.

Guess I should read the rules more carefully......not that it matters but weren't they allowed until the RR came out?

BTW: I bought the car almost 2 years ago and these were old rains I got with the car from the previous owner.

The R888's were only "legal" back in 2010. If I were you I would ask your regional CMC director and perhaps some of your competitors if its ok with them for you to run them. They may not care, but then again maybe they will.

I remember hearing about that (RA1 going away and coming back) but the only 2 tires we're allowed to run right now are the RR and RA1, with the RA1 being the rain tire.
As of right now, I'm convinced that it is going to rain for every session I'm in.

The R888's were only "legal" back in 2010. If I were you I would ask your regional CMC director and perhaps some of your competitors if its ok with them for you to run them. They may not care, but then again maybe they will.

While I haven't asked yet, I'm convinced none of my local competitors would care (since everyone I know thinks they are slower anyway).....

However, next years Eastern Nationals will be at my home track (VIR) and I don't want to buy/have rain tires that aren't legal.

• 2 weeks later...

The 888's are the hot set-up for the rain if you put them on 13" wheels, Pinto axles & leave 17" wheels up front front.........especially for the 2015 East Coast Championships.....I'm sure we can talk our regional director into this for our 2014 Regional Champion and Rookie of the Year!

Double D #678