HPDE Traveling Circus?

Smike

I think this merits its own discussion.

To the HPDE question - we typically see newer cars. Nature of HPDE - drive what you have. How many drive 10-20 year old cars compared to 10-5yo cars?

Excellent point. Rather than trying to get them to build a newer $25,000+ Mustang/Camaro into a race car, explain to them that they can build a pretty awesome CMC car from scratch for the cost of their street car, likely with some left over for a trailer. Maintenance, parts availability and costs will likely be lower as well. I started DE's with a 2011 Camaro SS, and realized it would take more money than I wanted to spend to turn it into a TT car, much less a race car.

I do a lot of DE's outside of NASA, and I always have folks coming and asking about the car. Most of them balk initially at the horsepower and allowed mods, but once you explain to them the nature of class racing (versus being a DE superstar), they start to see the appeal. Don't think any of the ones I've talked to have ever followed up and actually got into CMC, but at least the seed has been planted.

Along the same vein, I think a great way to help promote CMC and get some attention is to get a group of CMC guys together and run a DE or two every year. Let people see the fun and camaraderie that we have, as well as the potential of a CMC car, outside of a NASA event.

On topic, I agree with all the previous posts that like this rule. The more options that are available engine wise for each platform, the better IMO. As stated by someone earlier, who cares how you get the power as long as you're getting it. You can argue about rule creep and the spirit of CMC all day long, but with the addition of 30 more RWHP, big brakes, larger wheels/tires, $2000 shocks, etc. the whole slap a cage in a car and race an almost stock car went out the window. Sure you can do it now, but you'll never run at the front (at least with a 4.6 or 5.0 Mustang).

For GL/MW, our season has generally tapered off.

I wouldn't mind running a few local HPDEs at Mid-O or Pitt Race next season with some of the guys.

Ideas?

Mustang and GM focused HPDEs?

Mustang Club of America events?

Corvette Club?

More thoughts on driving up car counts. This is a group effort project, something we cannot do alone.

Media blasting? Is there series FB page?

YouTube page?

Interviews?

Magazine coverage (not just Speed News)?

Collection of cars for sale? Search and post up when we see CMC or near CMC cars.

Build up this forums awareness? Get more here to learn about the series. Restructure to be more inviting and highlight the great points first. Then our discussions on rules, allowed mods, etc. Present a fun outward face to new drivers.

Get more forum/series sponsors?

Do what Porsche Cup Challenge did this year - travel to other regions to race. Get 3-4 cars and caravan to other regions and run?

I think this merits its own discussion.

To the HPDE question - we typically see newer cars. Nature of HPDE - drive what you have. How many drive 10-20 year old cars compared to 10-5yo cars?

To add to this I started participating in DE's with a newer car, then decided it was too nice for track duty. I wanted something with a lower price for dedicated track duty. The mustang was a good fit for me as I wanted something that still had decent power and was cheap to purchase. I threw a 4 point in it and did DEs for a few years. Then I built it up for CMC after I was getting bored with DEs.

Do what Porsche Cup Challenge did this year - travel to other regions to race. Get 3-4 cars and caravan to other regions and run?

What is everyone doing this weekend?

We've got the opportunity to show of CMC (and other classes) in front of 8500+ spectators as THE support race for a pro level spectator event. All V8 drooling fans. AI/CMC racing in front of a crowd. Cars on display in the vendor area between races. $100 entry fee. 3 warm up/practice sessions. 2 heat races. 1 main.

We've got the opportunity to show of CMC (and other classes) in front of 8500+ spectators as THE support race for a pro level spectator event. All V8 drooling fans. AI/CMC racing in front of a crowd. Cars on display in the vendor area between races. $100 entry fee. 3 warm up/practice sessions. 2 heat races. 1 main.

What, where, and how do we get on board?

I watched a CMC race at Sonoma about 5 years ago and was hooked. My wife told me is was her or a race car, so once the divorce was finalized, I found and purchased a CMC Mustang only to find out there are no more CMC cars in California! So I've been doing a few HPDE events to get some seat time. Honestly, its kind of boring just driving around without a purpose. I'm going to get my SCCA license next year (much easier BTW!) and race some American Sedan races. I read NASA is trying to start a "Boneyard" class that I would love to race in. There are a lot of us who want to race, but want to compete on the track, not compete to see who can spend the most money on our car.

Going to HPDE in Sonoma this weekend

I watched a CMC race at Sonoma about 5 years ago and was hooked. My wife told me is was her or a race car, so once the divorce was finalized, I found and purchased a CMC Mustang only to find out there are no more CMC cars in California! So I've been doing a few HPDE events to get some seat time. Honestly, its kind of boring just driving around without a purpose. I'm going to get my SCCA license next year (much easier BTW!) and race some American Sedan races. I read NASA is trying to start a "Boneyard" class that I would love to race in. There are a lot of us who want to race, but want to compete on the track, not compete to see who can spend the most money on our car.

Going to HPDE in Sonoma this weekend

Not sure if I should laugh or cry. Either way - welcome!

No CMC left in CA? My car is a CMC1 car from CA.

Have not heard of the bone-yard class.

What, where, and how do we get on board?

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4594

http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?t=6565&highlight=spears

https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1880

Pikes Peak Raceway in Fountain CO. We run there 2-3 times a year for normal events. We can REALLY use more cars. I have 4-5 CMC signed up and no AI.

Its labeled "Experimental". Here is a link.

http://socal.drivenasa.com/NASABoneyardV1.pdf

I say no more cars because there has only been one car at the two events I've been to.

That sounds like a way to compete with chump car, but I do not have any interest in having my car eligble for sale if I win.

Yeah, and we have a lot more than $5k in these cars.