Mustang Steering Column Lock

rmalec

I can't figure out how to disable the steering column lock on my 2000 Mustang without destroying the ignition switch. I know its a safety rule so there must be an easy way to do it.

I think most folks bypass the column ignition switch and install at least a master switch with a pushbutton start. You can also install a separate switch to power the ignition.

Glenn,

There is a gear that is rotated by a cam that is turned by the ignition key cylinder. When you take out the gear the switch doesn't work. Am I in the right place? The problem is you can't see what is locking the shaft. It is hidden in the casting

What do you do about by-passing the anti theft feature?

We drive cars that are either old enough to not have that feature, or not have EFI and computers.

Glenn,

There is a gear that is rotated by a cam that is turned by the ignition key cylinder. When you take out the gear the switch doesn't work. Am I in the right place? The problem is you can't see what is locking the shaft. It is hidden in the casting

Not in the right spot. Remove the wheel. The part the 4th gen guys mod is under there.

The easiest way to deal with PATS is to get a tune that disables it along with all the emissions stuff.

It is possible to keep PATS functional, disable the steering lock, and continue using the the stock ignition.

For PATS to continue working, you need to have the key, transceiver module (located under steering column), the antenna (black ring around ignition cylinder), the module under the dash and you have to have the gauge cluster connected. As long as you don't cut any wires, you can pull the column, disable the steering lock, and put back together, and the ignition switch should continue working. These are the instructions I got from Rob Liebbe that disabled his lock recently and keeps using the stock ignition (his is a '95, but the steering lock should be the same):

"There is a pin or keyway on the steering shaft in the column that engages into another component (possibly the slider that goes to the electrical ignition switch). I disassembled the entire column and cut that tab off. Be very careful when disassembling not to lose any of the bearing balls."

If you want to install a dash switch and push button instead of using the key, the quick method is to splice into the stock ignition switch wiring and just bypass the stock switch. you can leave the tumbler in there with the key in or pull the tumbler and tape the key to the transceiver module. Just be sure you keep the little black ring antenna around the cylinder, otherwise PATS won't function.

Thanks, blk96GT. After researching the manual I agree with you. I am not looking forward to disassembling the steering column, but it looks like that is the only way to disable the lock. I will keep the key ignition and PATS for a while.