2016 East coast nationals Watkins Glen

BADVENM

Looks like its at Watkins Glen September 22-25, 2016. I know its early but how many CMC'ers are in that area and how many think they may attend? We need four for a championship race.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BADVENM

• t500hps

• Spencer

• MHISSTC

Talked to a few Rocky Mountain CMC guys at our race event this past weekend. Sounds like 3 or 4 of them are definitely interested.

Anyone run that track before in CMC?

Yes. I was there in 2011 in CMC1 and ran a 2:20.693. I found results from 9/14 with Spencer Black running a 2:17.462.

I would imagine there are more current results from 2015.

It was my absolute favorite track. Better than Road America, Road Atlanta, Mid-Ohio, and VIR. The fastest track of all those. In CMC1 tune...I was hitting over 145 mph on the back before the bus stop. First turn was in 4th with a short shift to 5th before turn 2 and WOT all the way up thru the S's. I'd recommend balancing everything you can before that event as any minor vibrations end up being mind numbing due to the speed/rpm. This track seriously makes Hallett feel like an autocross course set up in a Wal-Mart parking lot!

Sidney

I would love to do this, but seems like it would suck in my car since I have an overdrive 5th gear and there's not an option to swap the 5th gear out (T45). I've got 3.27's currently which is right at the limit in 4th on the front straight at TWS (~132 MPH CW, 5800 RPM).

I would love to do this, but seems like it would suck in my car since I have an overdrive 5th gear and there's not an option to swap the 5th gear out (T45). I've got 3.27's currently which is right at the limit in 4th on the front straight at TWS (~132 MPH CW, 5800 RPM).

I run the same combo and have pulled 140mph at VIR.......not sure what the rpms were. I thought I read this combo maxes out at 142 or 144.

3:27's and a stock t45 top out at 143 in 4th in a cobra at 7000 rpm. The Gt is a little lower cause it wont rev safely that high. You could try but might end up spitting engine parts all over the track haha

I never hit anything near 145 at the glen. I usually see around 125-130 top speed.

Those phone based GPS timers sample only once per second and therefore usually don't record your actual highest speed.......but they also rarely show how slow you really were in the corners.

The Glen is a must do track, did it in 2014, its a cross between Mid-O and RA. ( have yet to go to VIR ) Elevation changes are challenging and better know your braking zones too, excellent brakes are a must. Its a high RPM track. Well worth the drive, beautiful area to bring and explore with your significant other, after the race that is.

And Jim got a win at his first trip to Watkins Glen in Sept 2014. Spencer Black is the CMC man to beat at Watkins Glen and turned laps in the upper 2:17's last year. On my 2nd day there, I ran a 2:18.3 with the 5.0 motor, 3:55 rear gears and the road race 5th gear in a T-5 transmission. The AIM solo indicated 129.5 mph as top speed just before bus stop which surprised me .......I thought the front straight would be faster mph's. What a fun track with wide open area into turn one and flat out up through to the bus stop...the predictive timer kept saying that I was getting faster & better in the first half of the track and giving it all back on the 2nd half. I hope I can go again next year!

David DeJarnette #678 Mid-Atlantic

And Jim got a win at his first trip to Watkins Glen in Sept 2014. Spencer Black is the CMC man to beat at Watkins Glen and turned laps in the upper 2:17's last year. On my 2nd day there, I ran a 2:18.3 with the 5.0 motor, 3:55 rear gears and the road race 5th gear in a T-5 transmission. The AIM solo indicated 129.5 mph as top speed just before bus stop which surprised me .......I thought the front straight would be faster mph's. What a fun track with wide open area into turn one and flat out up through to the bus stop...the predictive timer kept saying that I was getting faster & better in the first half of the track and giving it all back on the 2nd half. I hope I can go again next year!

David DeJarnette #678 Mid-Atlantic

Thanks for the info David. I'm also running 3:55 gears with a road racing 5th. Our AIM on a few tracks has us up to 120 mph, didn't check the tach to see how much room we had left before hitting rev limiter at those speeds. We may have another chance to hit those speeds in a few weeks and I'll check the tach.

I'm also running 3:55 gears with a road racing 5th.

You need to verify your rear gears. I thought the 3.55 set was the one I messed up and replaced with the 3.73 set. Either that or I gave you my 3.55 set and I have the 3.73 now. I can't remember any more.

In CMC1 tune...I was hitting over 145 mph on the back before the bus stop. First turn was in 4th with a short shift to 5th before turn 2 and WOT all the way up thru the S's....

Sidney

I used a formula to get MPH based on RPM, axle ratio, gear ratio, and tire radius. I had a .82 TKO, ran 3.73 rear gears, and 255/16 Toyos. RPM was between 5,000 and 5,500.

Just did a google search and found 2 different diameters for 255/16's. Tire Rack lists the 255/16 RA1 at 26.1 inches. Using that size the calculations would be 132 mph at 5,200 and 137 at 5,400. Another Website had 255/16 at 29 inches...that would give the 145 MPH top speed. The 132/137 probably makes more sense for the sub 250HP I was making at the time.

Plan accordingly,

Sidney

• 5 months later...

Just curious where you guys and gals are at regarding attending the East Coast Nationals. My teammate and I have to have our vacation request forms in by the end of the month. We're planning on competing and hope that there will be at least 3 more cars to fulfill the 4 car requirement for an east coast CMC championship race.

So, can any of you give an update regarding whether or not you'll be competing?

Thanks.