Suggestion Box

D Algozine

Regionally, we have been kicking around some ideas and plans to get the word out on the CMC class, and to attract new and existing racers. A couple of us have "stepped up" (most overused saying in all of sports) to assist Bob D, who has been mostly doing it by himself in the past.

There have been some good ideas in the hopper. Here are a couple suggestions for this National site, that may be more newbie, user friendly.

This CMC website could have an introduction to CMC explaining the basic info about the series (sticky) . Likely this could be generated from info listed at the "NASA Pony car" website description and/or the intro listed in the rules . Something that a newbie or web surfer who might be interested, could read and understand the basics of the class, eligible cars, general rule set. Also, who to contact from each region to follow up and get more info, etc… Instead of having to ask or be told, where to go to get details and contact info.

Also, the section on the National CMC website listed as “Rules Questions / Answers” could have a sticky with a direct link to the current rules.

It appears that the National CMC website is geared more toward veteran CMC racers and not as inviting to a newbie. One needs to search and ask some of the most basic info about the class and who to contact locally. Each regional director could be easily identified (sticky) and contact info available (in my opinion) .

Currently , there is:

The NASA Forum website, (which doesn't have an active section for CMC, but does have other NASA related discussions)

The NASA Pro Racing Webstie, (which has links to most but not all other websites with pertinent info)

This CMC National website, (which has most but not all info about CMC, and is most widely used).

Then there is the NASA Pony car website. (Personally , the only reason I go there is to read the rules. It appears most other info is outdated).

Plus, the fact that the largest CMC region (Texas) has its own website, further fractionalizes the group .

Regional Websites (which is another place for a newbie, to go to find out more necessary info)

Classifieds are also spread out....., with some being listed on the NASA forum, some at Racing junk and then CMC specific classifieds are listed here (CMC forum), and even some regional sites have classified.

Not suggesting that all of these or most should get condensed or eliminated. But there are a lot of different places to go to get ALL the info and/or find out "whats going on" in your region, in NASA and in your class. Not sure what could, or should be done, but certainly having an easier road map would be ideal. So, I'm suggesting that this is something to look into.

Personally, I find it difficult when talking to a perspective / interested person. I give them most or some of these sites to follow up with for more info, but that is challenging , depending on the circumstances .

• Members

What about Bob Denton's Hero Card? It gives a super quick and dirty rundown about what CMC is all about to the uninitiated. We're working on something bigger that could definitely be linked from here or just copied right into a sticky too.

How about this: to help us out, if you can find products from other successful classes for us to plagiarize post away. The more ideas the better. Seriously. I'm probably going to be as annoying as the guy trying to upsell you long distance services you don't want this year in an attempt to put asses in CMC seats. That's only half the battle though. Once they're in, you don't want the n00bs rotting at the back of the pack. If they're moving up and seeing progress, they're more likely to show up and stick around. If nothing else, let's keep this conversation rolling so more racers start thinking this way.

• 1 month later...
What about Bob Denton's Hero Card? It gives a super quick and dirty rundown about what CMC is all about to the uninitiated. We're working on something bigger that could definitely be linked from here or just copied right into a sticky too.

How about this: to help us out, if you can find products from other successful classes for us to plagiarize post away. The more ideas the better. Seriously. I'm probably going to be as annoying as the guy trying to upsell you long distance services you don't want this year in an attempt to put asses in CMC seats. That's only half the battle though. Once they're in, you don't want the n00bs rotting at the back of the pack. If they're moving up and seeing progress, they're more likely to show up and stick around. If nothing else, let's keep this conversation rolling so more racers start thinking this way.

No other takers, so I'll bite, although, based on the responses from the last month (zero), I think we know where this is going.

An idea: centralize as much of the information as possible. Although, in this age of Facebook, twitter, group text's and emails, it appears interweb sites are used less and less. But for a newbie or someone interested, it is necessary to have a place to go to get basic info.

A suggestion. Get rid of the NASA Pony car site, and put all that info under "CMC " section of the "NASA Forum " site. I would consider doing the same with the current "CMC Forum" site (I know, this will go over like a lead balloon) . If attracting HPDE, and other racer group drivers is the goal, then use the same site that most cruise, easy to find , and multiple searches take place. It is the likely forum a newbie, or want to be, will go to for information. Plus you may steal someone's interest by accident.

Example: "Wow look at those great conversations and cool videos that have been recently posted over there in the CMC section of the NASA forum.........what's the story on these CMC guys, and why do they have haircuts from the mid 80's :lol: ?"

Pull CMC out of the American Iron section of the NASA forum, and use the "CMC" section, that hasn't been used since.....never. No CMC info is listed at the AI section and no one in CMC uses that to communicate. If I'm new to NASA or doing a search and go to the NASA forum site, I see that the CMC section has been shut down since 2003 and although CMC is listed under the AI site, no info or communication regarding CMC is listed. I think, maybe its a dead or dying series, or who knows what else. Maybe I notice there is separate CMC site, but then why is it separate?

I think the NASA central should look at improving the race series section of the NASA forum. Ideally , make it look like the current CMC forum site with different sections , such as classified, rules, video, events, general discussion etc....for each individual series.

Then if I'm a newbie and directed to the Pro NASA website for more info about "how to get started" or "details about NASA rules, regs, events and classes", then I can follow that site to the NASA forum to get the scoop on ALL current and past topics of discussion , and/or go to a regional site for that specific info. It flows, and least it should.

Currently , one is all over the place for info ....: Pony car site, CMC forum, NASA website, nasa forum, regional site, maybe regional CMC or other class sites.

Not a huge deal breaker, but if you are trying to attract interest, then simple and direct is best. Plus traffic is good.

Also, I agree, Bob's hero card is pretty cool and a great idea.

Below are a few newbies who were searching for info about race series at the NASA Forum. Not all directly apply to CMC class, but you get the idea. Sure would be convenient for them to click the "CMC" section or have someone direct them to the CMC section at the same Forum for ALL the details, rules, car types, typical mods, regional contact, video, discussions, etc...

I'm guessing there are a far amount of missed opportunities. The earlier you get to an interested person, the better chance of having them stick around.

Is American Iron a Popular Class in NASA?

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=130661

Interested in GLs region American Iron car count+ noob intro

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=130239

Which class of racing?

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=131214

Possible changes to 09 mustang for racing.

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=131301