UTAH in May

bpanther

In the spirit of the "Arizona in December" thread.... How about Utah in May? NASA Rocky Mountain will be holding a huge event at the new Miller Motorsports Park May 19-21.

I'm encouraged by the HC folks who don't think Phoenix is too far to go to race. Heck, Miller is a only measley 725 miles from San Francisco.

Right now we've got USTCC, FormulaTR and a huge collection of GTS cars making the trip and we want HondaChallenge to be part of this historic weekend as well. AFAIK, NASA will be the first road racing sanctioning bodies to hold a racing event here. We get it before ALMS, GAC, WC, etc

BTW, we'll be running the full 4.5 mile configuration. Who out there has driven a track this long?

Right now we've got USTCC...

That is the first date for USTCC we have heard so far. Is this is a confirmed date, Dave? A calender of next years events would be so nice...

Sorry, this is the only one I can confirm since this is my date. The 2006 USTCC schedule is oh-so close.

So.... Will you bring any HC cars that weekend or do you think you'll have your hands full with two UST cars? This weekend will be a good warmup for GAC competitors...

Dave,

GOTO:Racing would love bring our Honda cars along with the USTSS effort. now if I can only find a trailer to hold four cars that i can tow behind my motor home!

The Thawley H1 Civic Hatch is itching to go. We've got it on the calendar as THE event of the month. Conditions should be excellent in May and we're expecting to see a LOT of NASA lap records set. (Especially since none have been set before...)

For those not familiar with the area, Tooele is about 35 miles West of Salt Lake City near the southern most shore of the Great Salt Lake. Another 110 miles to the west (about an hour's drive!) along Interstate 80 is the boarder town of Wendover, NV and the Bonneville Salt Flats.

When the Southern California Timing Association held the first annual Speed Week at the salt flats in 1949, it was Miss Tooele who presented the record setters their awards. SCTA "Forty-niner", Alex Xydias recalls her wearing white gloves...

Hope to see lots of other West Coast NASA races willing to join in this historic adventure.

Thawley

Should we stop on the way to the Lime Rock Grand-Am race and run this weekend as a test for the Grand-Am races on Labor Day? Man that make it tight Dave!

Can the USTCC race be on Saturday?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll do a more detailed write up, but for those who don't know anything about this news track, there isn't anything else like it in North America. No kidding.

This is being built as a world class facility and from what I saw it is being built with F1 in mind. This ain't no Buttonwillow (and I love BW!!!).... $50 million is being invested and it has all the details you could ever imagine.

We took a tour on Thursday and all we could say was WOW the whole time. No matter what you drive, you WILL run out of gear on this track. There are sections that are technical beyond belief and it will be faster than CA speedway and take more guts than the kink at Road America.

Should we stop on the way to the Lime Rock Grand-Am race and run this weekend as a test for the Grand-Am races on Labor Day?

Can the USTCC race be on Saturday?

Considering there will be a lot to learn about this track, I'd suggest getting as much time on it before the GAC event as you can. We will do the main race on Sunday, but there will be the Saturday race as well.

If you haven't looked at the details on this track, you're in for a surprise. As I have mentioned several places, the track isn't willing to admit it, but it's being built for F1. It will be a huge shot in the arm for UST (and NASA) to run it before all the other groups get a chance to.

Here's the write up on our visit last week. http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?t=49

DAMN-IT, DAMN-IT, DAMN-IT, DAMN-IT, DAMN-IT, DAMN-IT!!!!!!!!

My brother in law just sceduled his wedding that weekend. And the worst part is his sister is my wife...

Thawley

My brother in law just sceduled his wedding that weekend. And the worst part is his sister is my wife...

Was that a pun? Either way, it made me laugh. Sorry to hear about that.

My brother in law just sceduled his wedding that weekend.

Thawley

So are you telling me I need to rent the Club house for the reception?

It wouldn't be the first wedding held at a NASA event.

So are you telling me I need to rent the Club house for the reception?

I didn't think of that.

I'll ask them what they think of moving the wedding to SLC instead of Laguna Beach. Seems like the least they could do for me...