Miata RF - broomstick test/hard dog roll bar?

Duane Black

So there's speculation with these new RF Miaters. They have somewhat of a fixed roof but apparently it's still not fully acceptable as a roof. Hard dog has a roll bar for the RF. would this car still have to make broomstick or would a roll bar combined with the roof in it be sufficient? Or does it even need a bar?

FWIW, I wouldn't run one without a bar. I instruct in the southeast and mid Atlantic. I'm looking to jump ship from my mustang to a miata. I initially considered a soft top but I know in stock seats I wont broomstick. I do fit with helmet in an RF and see Hard Dog has a bar for it. 

https://www.flyinmiata.com/rf-roll-bar.html

• 2 weeks later...

Any of the Spec Miata guys should know this. Otherwise, I would reach out to the director of the mid Atlantic region. Generally, a hard top doesn't require a cage. Some guys will get carbon fiber tops for their S2000 so they don't have to install a roll cage if they aren't racing.

• National Staff

There is no "broomstick rule" in the NASA CCR. Here's the passage for roll bars in open cars in HPDE

11.4.7 Roll Bars All open cars should have a roll bar installed to help protect the occupant(s) from injury during a roll-over. The main hoop shall be one continuous piece with smooth Mandrel bends with no evidence of crimping or wall failure. All welds should be of the highest possible quality, with full penetration [Ref:(15.6.15)]. All cars with roll bars are required to have adequate roll bar padding per CCR section #15.6.4. In cases where the driver’s head may come in contact with the roll bar should the seatback fail, a seatback brace is required in conformance with section #15.6.21. Acceptable roll bars include, but are not limited to, the following: Hard Dog All Hard Dog brand roll bars that shows, “Meets NASA requirements…” on their website. HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVING AND TIME TRIALS 30 Auto Power Street Roll Bar Street-Sport Roll Bar Race Roll Bar Blackbird Fabworx (Miata / MX5 / 2017 Fiat 124) SD (for NA and NB) RZ (for NC and ND) GT3 (for NA, NB, NC and ND) The above roll bars are examples only. NASA does not endorse any brand or model and will not be held liable for any failures of roll bars.

It would be up to the discretion of the tech inspector/Regional Director in your region. I don't fit in those cars at all, but I wouldn't run one without a bar, either. You might want to google the durability of the ND transmission before tracking one in HPDE. It might change your mind.