Placement of cutoff switch

PDenbigh

Quick question - does the cutoff switch (electric) need to be accessable from the outside of the car? Or can it be in the center of the dash?

Thanks,

Peter

I don't know what the CCR requires, but as a corner worker, I feel like it needs to be somewhere I can get at it when I come to pull you out of a wrecked car.

Taken from page 64 of the 2006.1 CCR

15.8 Master Switch

An electrical master switch is recommended on all cars, and required on some, as listed

in the class rules. It shall be mounted so that it is easily accessible from the outside.

The switch shall cut all power except to the on-board fire system and any other life

support / medical device. The switch location must be clearly marked. Any marked

switch must function as per this rule, or the indication decal must be removed.

Ciao ciao !

i was told pretty much what Captain Who said. Make sure that a corner worker can reach in through the passenger window area and quickly and easily flip it.

Personally, I don't like that setup, even though it's what we have on the Baby Grand car. I prefer an installation like is on our RX-7. Specifically, I prefer that it be outside, and in a location that responders can reach it even if the car is up on it's side or upside down. That's tough to do with only one switch. One of these days I'll spend the time to figure out how to put two of them in. For a one-switch installation, I like it up close to the base of the windshield where the A pillars should keep it clear in most circumstances.

No matter where it's located there will always be the posibility of an incident that makes it inexcessible. If it's outside on the drunk there is a chance of backing the car into the wall. If it's outside at the base of the hood, the car could be upside down againt the wall. The area that should almost always be accessible is the center console. However, it's not easy to reach in any circumstance. I put it at the base of the "A" pillar, attached to the roll bar, just above the side mirror. I should always be able to reach it, and a corner / rescue worker can access it easily most of the time and through the passenger window if the drivers side is not accessible.

Dave

It seems like it would be pretty easy to wire a second kill switch "in-line" with the first one ... just interrupt all the wires, install the 2nd switch in line and then continue the wires.

• 3 weeks later...