HPDE-1 Inspection and Break

bianchie

Hello! I’m really new at NASA, and of course have a ton of question, as an introduction I just got my new toy; a Nissan Z350 2006 and want to feel it into the track. Hopefully next January at MorosoSpeedway Park in FL. Please see my questions below hope someone can help me!

1.- Technical Inspection.--, my car is brand new, just 1,000 miles and I have not change anything, at NASA CCR it say that if I have not made any change to my car, I can get it to any “auto shop” and get “Stamped my tech form” what does it mean? That I can take my car to a “PetBoys” and get the form stamped? And if don’t where in FL I can take my car for the inspection beside the track it self.

2.- Break fluid and Pads.—my Z350 is not the track model, for that, it have street pads and the DOT 3 Nissan Super Heavy duty Break Fluid, think I can survive the HDPE-1 classes with this base configuration or, I must have to change the fluid to avoid boil it up and the pads as well? High performance break are coming soon

Thanks!!

Ernesto

Good questions. Here's some answers!

1. Don't worry about tech at all. For HPDE 1 and 2 you actually get inspected by your instructor with you there and him/her showing you what they are inspecting and why it is important. Your car will pass without problems, they'll give you a sticker, and you'll hop in and drive.

2. For HPDE 1 you will be fine with your stock brakes. For HPDE 2 you will need to upgrade your stuff (Pads mostly).

Enjoy the car!

Peter

1. Don't worry about tech at all. For HPDE 1 and 2 you actually get inspected by your instructor with you there and him/her showing you what they are inspecting and why it is important. Your car will pass without problems, they'll give you a sticker, and you'll hop in and drive

Some regions do it different. Check with your region director prior to going to find out what their tech is like.

Hello there! Thanks for your quick replay I much appreciate it, and yes I will check with my region director as well, at this stage of novice there are questions and more questions!

Once again thanks!

Ernesto

2.- Break fluid and Pads.—my Z350 is not the track model, for that, it have street pads and the DOT 3 Nissan Super Heavy duty Break Fluid, think I can survive the HDPE-1 classes with this base configuration or, I must have to change the fluid to avoid boil it up and the pads as well? High performance break are coming soon

I have a '05 350Z Track and did a dozen track day with it. The car is heavy and has good power. I definitely recommand getting dedicaed track pads front, and at least a sportier pad rear. The OEM pads will not last long on the track (the rear one go out first if you have the ABLS). By the end of your first day, you will experience fluid and pad fade. It's not fun to have to learn to drive around car problems over learning to drive at speed on a track !

People hesitate to get full track pads for their first events, thinking it's a waste of money. They end up burning of their OEM pads real fast (1 or 2 HPDE event) and then have to buy new ones for the street AND a set for the track. Ah and get some better fluid also (Dot 5.1 or RBF600).

I did 11 track days on my Cobalt Friction Spec VR track pads and I still have my OEM pads for the street.

Kolia, thanks for your comments, definitive break are very important at any stage of the HDPE for what I was learning this days, my option was to change my stock break’s before the event, for a StopTech 332/328mm Caliper and Motul600 with track pads, is an expensive way to start this hobby, but thinking on what can happen if you stress your breaks to the limit in a track day. Is better to start with the right foot

You'll have to decide by yourself if a BBK is worth it on your first season of HPDE. The StopTech kit is very good and if you have the money, go for it.

Be aware the the Z eats tires really fast. I ran Falken Azenis (235/40r18 fronts and 255/40r18 rears) as a dual purpose tire and got 8k miles from the rears and 15k from the fronts...

Did 23k miles over the summer, and burned 2 sets front and 3 sets rear. So you have to budget for that too.

Brake don't usually fail without warning. If you "listen" to your car, you will know when to back down a few notches for a few laps before going back to your faster pace. You will also learn how to brake to minimise the heat you generate and keep your brake happier longer. So a few events with the stock brakes with good track pads is still a viable option. You won't crash because of them.

Fresh brake fluid is also critical, and I agree that you can get a lot of performance out of stock brakes with decent pads, decent fresh fluid, and some rudimentary attention to ventilation.

There's some basic info intended as an introductory track brake management treatment here, FWIW.