Hpde1 tire choice

clotuning

What would you guys recommend for someone who's going to the track for the very first time? Its a stock S13 that will be driven to the track (about 300 miles round trip.) I saw these below on Tirerack.com and I would like to stick with tire-rack because their warranties are pretty much hassle free

225/50R16 (stock Z32 wheels)

FIRESTONE FIREHAWK INDY 500 340 Treadwear 103.86 ea

FALKEN AZENIS RT615K+ 200 Treadwear 123.54 ea

CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT SPORT 300 Treadwear 123.99 ea

BRIDGESTONE POTENZA S007A 240 Treadwear 126.95 ea

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I

On 9/18/2019 at 10:22 AM, clotuning said:

What would you guys recommend for someone who's going to the track for the very first time? Its a stock S13 that will be driven to the track (about 300 miles round trip.) I saw these below on Tirerack.com and I would like to stick with tire-rack because their warranties are pretty much hassle free

225/50R16 (stock Z32 wheels)

FIRESTONE FIREHAWK INDY 500 340 Treadwear 103.86 ea

FALKEN AZENIS RT615K+ 200 Treadwear 123.54 ea

CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT SPORT 300 Treadwear 123.99 ea

BRIDGESTONE POTENZA S007A 240 Treadwear 126.95 ea

I would go with Falken tires as they are the softest but will wear a bit faster.

Run whatever you have on the car right now as long as the tires aren't over 5 years old.  Only after you're done with your first track weekend, and you can confidently say that you want to continue to invest time on track, should you make a big purchase like this.  

Over the 3 years I've instructed with NASA, the biggest issue with new'ish driver's cars on the track is brake fluid that's too old and inadequate brake pads.  Flush the system with DOT4 fluid and get some good brake pads for your safety.  

Agreed. Tires really don't matter as long as they are car tires and in good condition. I boiled brake fluid and killed pads my first HPDE day ever.....and this was a SRT8 that was nearly new. GOOD brake fluid and pads are a must.......the rest can wait.

I'm with the others.  For the first track day tires don't matter.  As long as what you have on there is in good condition just run them.  Make sure your brakes are good, clean the car out and go have fun.  Worry about getting some track tires later.

If you already have summer tires, just use those for your first day.

If you have all-season tires, then I would not use them on track (can wear out very quickly due to the tread design).

I would say the Falken's, based on what you listed.
Also, the Hankook Ventus RS4 is very popular with endurance racers.