2020 RCR #1

Dustin M.

• Members

I'd like to plug a hole we left in a good rule change we executed last year.

---1) Dustin Mozader / Rocky Mountain Region / Car #45 / Contact Info[email protected]

---2) Rule reference # 6.21.5

---3) Any air filter or air filter assembly may be fitted and OE assemblies may be modified. Air boxes and filters must reside inside the engine compartment or in the OEM stock location. Air filter installations intentionally designed to create, or that appear to create a ram air effect are not allowed, even if they were OEM stock. A ram air intake shall be defined as one that sources its air from a location on the exterior of the car or the radiator ducting and is ducted and sealed from that source to the throttle body/carb. Ducting that has gaps or openings smaller than 5 square inches total will be considered sealed.The radiator does not count toward this 5 square inch bleed.

---4) Will provide more clarity because: Presently, for an intake that sources its air from the radiator shroud, it could be perceived that the radiator should count toward the required 5 square inch bleed that defines a non-ram air intake for these rules. 

• Members

Nope, the stock box doesn't draw from the shroud, but it can easily me modded to do so. It can just as easily be modified to ensure that the stock inlet above/in front of the stock core support meets the 5 square inch bleed criteria.

Here's a stock bottom half of a stock LS1 airbox. You cut here to make it ram air. See how it's blocked off in stock form by the core support?

airbox_cut_pattern.jpg

You hog out the stock opening to a full 5 square inches to bleed that pressure off, but still have a free legit cold air intake. The attached pic is of a V6 car and does have the ram air box. The non-ram air box has a shorter opening, but the location remains the same for the stock LS1 airbox inlet location. The ram air box has more than 5 square inches of bleed as long as the hood is plugged. The non ram air boxes I'm not 100% sure on the size of their opening, but easy enough to check with a measuring tape. Again, super easy to hog out to compliance and the non-ram air cars don't draw from a high pressure area. The ram air cars are not allowed to draw air from the hood, so again not a high pressure area.

LS1 style airbox inlet.JPG

Edited by Dustin M.

The stock Foxbody intake pulls from the fender, and it's common in CMC to have a hole in the headlight - thoughts on that? Can I build a box that has a 5in^2 hole somewhere around that fender hole?

- Josh

Edited by Sook

• Members

If the fender has a 5 square inch bleed somewhere, like a hole in the sheet metal directly above it, then this would satisfy the bleed requirement. I'd have to look and see, but seriously doubt a stock Fox body intake would qualify as a ram air intake. I have a 3" brake hose coming from the foglight blowing directly on my filter, but there's no enclosure to seal it to that hose so it's nowhere near a ram air intake. If you put a hose on the back of a headlight bucket and seal it all the way to the airbox then you have ram air, but if that hose just blows at the air filter or airbox then it meets the intent of the rule. We're not trying to prevent a proper cold air intake, just the effect of increasing MAP beyond atmospheric. The 5 square inch bleed is above and beyond what is necessary to prevent ram air, but it makes it super easy to police and makes the intent of the rule very clear.

6.5.2 The slotting, cutting, or drilling of the front bumper cover, headlights and underlying bumper structure may be modified by both removing material and adding ducting material to provide additional cooling air to the radiator, brakes, or coolers is allowed provided that:

Josh-doesn't allow providing air to the air filter.  Only radiator, brakes, and coolers.  And you can't "create" a hole to give you a 5 square inch hole unless it's factory.  

Personally I don't think we should allow "cold" air intakes either.