Need advice for brakes prior to first HPDE

butlerusn

Well, I am excited to be doing my first HPDE at Leguna Seca. I have an 03 Mustang Mach 1 and know I will probably kill my OEM pads by the end of the first day, so will have a new pair with me.....

So, my question to everyone, is which pads should I buy? I am considering EBC yellows and Hawk HP+ since I like the idea of not changing the pads everytime I head to the track....is this naive? Which pads do you think are better? Are there others I should be considering? The reason I like the EBC and Hawk is the price you pay for the coefficient of friction advertised.

Given that I will probably love driving on road corses, how long will these pads last?

I am also thinking about stainless steel lines and upgrading brake fluids, which seem to be a relatively cheap way to increase the margin of safety as I learn to drive fast properly. The lines I am considering are Russell, which is the only set of four I can find, and ATE Super Blue fluid, which seems a good price for a quality product. Again, your thoughts are more than welcome!

Happy New Year!

Rich

See if Carbotech has any bobcat pads. I think you'll like them. http://www.carbotecheng.com

ATE is good stuff; I use it. Does Crown or Goodridge makes lines for your car?

Well, I am excited to be doing my first HPDE at Leguna Seca. I have an 03 Mustang Mach 1 and know I will probably kill my OEM pads by the end of the first day, so will have a new pair with me.....

So, my question to everyone, is which pads should I buy? I am considering EBC yellows and Hawk HP+ since I like the idea of not changing the pads everytime I head to the track....is this naive? Which pads do you think are better? Are there others I should be considering? The reason I like the EBC and Hawk is the price you pay for the coefficient of friction advertised.

Given that I will probably love driving on road corses, how long will these pads last?

I am also thinking about stainless steel lines and upgrading brake fluids, which seem to be a relatively cheap way to increase the margin of safety as I learn to drive fast properly. The lines I am considering are Russell, which is the only set of four I can find, and ATE Super Blue fluid, which seems a good price for a quality product. Again, your thoughts are more than welcome!

Happy New Year!

Rich

Thanks for the info....

Goodridge has one listed for 1996-98 Cobras, which should be compatible with my brakes....I am checking. They are significantly less expensive than the Russell set....I wonder why?

Vr/Rich

ATE and stainless lines are good ideas, especially if your car is still near full weight. But remember some state have DOT inspections and stainless lines and fluid have to be DOT approved if the car is driven on the street. Some companies have DOT approved stainless lines, some aren't. The blue brake fluid can sometimes be mistaken as contaminated, or just sticks out and says "i'm not stock". I think pentosin racing fluid is DOT approved, also I think Steeda has DOT approved brake lines. Might be more expensive but I know the PA guys have to think about this stuff, so just a heads up.

new high boil fluid: definatly

stainless lines: better, but more of a feel thing then anything else

different pads: as far as i know the 03 mach 1s came with OK pads from the factory but your right they will probably be toast after a few sessions at a track like LS with a very heavy car like that. dont go with a very agressive compound for your first replacement brakes, jsut something more mild like a combination street/track pad, a full race pad will dust, squeal, grab when below 200 degrees, possibly higher, and eat your rotors alive! ive got a full race pad on the front of my Porsche and it has lasted quite a long while even during some pretty heavy useage. but the rotors are wearing as much if not more then the pads are.

• 1 month later...

For brake pads I would recommend Hawk HPS, they have quite low dust and noise and perfect for "spirited" street driving and ocassional tracks. They are not racing brake pads but they were developed for street cars that like to do tracks. I am planning on installing them on my bmw soon. Also as far as SS lines go, avoid cheap brands. Safety comes first, at the same time don't need to go overboard with it. Goodrich makes SS lines for about $150, and they are quite good. Not sure if they have it for your car though, check to make sure. Hope this helps some.

Call Porterfield and ask them. The hawk is a good choice, as are the EBC and some of the satisfied stuff.

You'll probably want to bleed them. You may want to bleed them mid day, depending on how hard you beat on it.

When you change pads don't forget to bed them in properly, which would be impossible to do in the middle of a track day without blowing a session.

http://stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml

Scott

I just changed to Hawk HP+ for my fronts and replaced my stock fluid with Ate Super Blue (2001 VW Gti 1.8T ~2800lbs). I'm very impressed so far! I did a few very hard stops after the pads were broken in and are MUCH improved over stock bite, stopping distance and fade resistance.

I'd recommend going with at least HP+ or equivelant. I still daily drive my car and they are very streetable, while still being excellent for a 20 minute session on the track.

I was expecting them to squeak around town, but I haven't heard a peep out of them yet!

Regards,

Chris

I was expecting them to squeak around town, but I haven't heard a peep out of them yet!

I guess I'll have to retract that statement...they've been making some noise now. It sounds a lot like my pads are worn down to the backing plates and I'm going metal to metal. It's sporadic though and not that annoying.