Toyota Gr Supra 2020 HPDE

LB-R

I just bought a 2020 Supra. It comes with a NASA membership and free HPDE day. Has anyone done it with a Supra? I am not looking to race, just to learn more about the car.

Best bet is probably to get on Supra forums and see what other people's experiences are.

The normal questions with any all new sports car that comes out are:

Does it overheat after extended track use? (water and oil temp)
          How do the stock brake pads hold up to abuse?
          How do the stock tires hold up to abuse? (if you've got summer tires, you should be fine.  if it's all seasons, might do some damage)
          Is the factory alignment good enough, or should it be tweaked first? (related to tire wear above)

Besides that, I would just want to make sure the car is well broken in before taking it to the track (3-5k street miles first).

NASA and its HPDE program is one of the best in the country.  It'll teach and educate you a lot about the car and the driver.

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2020 at 9:48 PM, LB-R said:

I just bought a 2020 Supra. It comes with a NASA membership and free HPDE day. Has anyone done it with a Supra? I am not looking to race, just to learn more about the car.

I instructed about 6 different people in Supras this year.   Last weekend included.  Absolutely fantastic platform.  Worst issue is that it is too easy to drive fast... the stability and traction control nannies work incredibly well so keep them on but look for the little flashing light that tells you it is working when you try to add too much throttle.  In sport mode it seems to pick the right gears and shifts seamlessly.  Both engines make great power, but the 6 cylinder is a linear rocket... great at all RPMS.  

The brakes are awesome... unless you are really hard on them and then you will find their limit.  I had a student at Barber get significant fade in our last session of the day that is open for an hour.  We got about 30-35 minutes in of hard driving in July at the end of two full days of sessions and the brakes needed a break :).   My student at MIR drove so hard that she probably could use some dedicated track pads.   But our track in Memphis has a long dragstrip straight where we were topping 140mph and then full threshold braking into turn one at 75-80mph... so it is really hard on all braking systems.

8F736BDD-430E-46CE-BB4A-021F2926E335.jpeg

Edited by MemphisRob