Need Clarification on a Classing

phoenixR34

On Page 6 it reads: TTD, Nissan 240SX (S14 220hp Swap).

What is a "S14 220hp swap"?

Every other 240SX is in TTF, including the S14 240SX. An S14 240SX has basically the same 155hp engine as the S13 240SX>

The S14 version of the SR20DET had 220hp, whereas the earlier ones had less (and later ones have more). Based on that, the rules imply that it's for an S14 version of the SR20DET, provided the SR20DET was assumed in the first place.

The S14 version of the SR20DET had 220hp, whereas the earlier ones had less (and later ones have more). Based on that, the rules imply that it's for an S14 version of the SR20DET, provided the SR20DET was assumed in the first place.
'

I'm sure a DET was assumed here. We had a couple of them running around when we were at PIR.

• National Staff

Correct guys. This listing is for the JDM S14 SR20DET 220 hp ball-bearing turbo engine swap (that was a mouthful). I believe that this is the most likely JDM swap we will see in this car (and there are guys running TT that have it, so I classed it). There wasn't enough room to write the whole thing down on the list, but I see that you figured it out ok.

So what if you have the S13 SR20DET engine swap?

The S13 SR20 version has 20 less HP, a smaller (non ball bearing) turbo, no variable cam timing (S14 does) and a smaller fuel system which ultimately means less potential. In addition, the S13 turbo isn't capable of handling as much boost as the S14 motor is (11-12 vs. 15-16psi).

An S14 SR20DET will make a solid 40-45 more hp on a DynoJet with the "common mods" (intake, exhaust, boost controller). Not to mention, better response due to the ball bearing turbo. People get 300rwhp (DynoJet) with the S14 turbo and modifications; you'd be lucky to get 245hp from an S13 turbo maxed out.

Likewise there is a decent price gap between the two motors if you were to buy one, which reflects the power and potential.

The S13 SR20DET engine is a popular swap as well, but IMO it's i a different league than the S14 SR20DET.

• National Staff
So what if you have the S13 SR20DET engine swap?

The S13 SR20 version has 20 less HP, a smaller (non ball bearing) turbo, no variable cam timing (S14 does) and a smaller fuel system which ultimately means less potential. In addition, the S13 turbo isn't capable of handling as much boost as the S14 motor is (11-12 vs. 15-16psi).

An S14 SR20DET will make a solid 40-45 more hp on a DynoJet with the "common mods" (intake, exhaust, boost controller). Not to mention, better response due to the ball bearing turbo. People get 300rwhp (DynoJet) with the S14 turbo and modifications; you'd be lucky to get 245hp from an S13 turbo maxed out.

Likewise there is a decent price gap between the two motors if you were to buy one, which reflects the power and potential.

The S13 SR20DET engine is a popular swap as well, but IMO it's i a different league than the S14 SR20DET.

It wouldn't get much of a break, just TTE**. We've really got to class the cars based on what they can do, as opposed to what they have the potential to do. If I owned one, I would definitely go for the S15 JDM engine, though (if I had the money and could find one )....otherwise, I agree that the S14 SR20DET would be the better choice. (The S13 SR20DET is still too good, though, to class in TTE*).

Do you need me to make this an approved swap, or are you just fishing for info?

I'd like it to be an approved swap if possible to avoid any conflicts in the future.

As you've mentioned, swaps are complicated and need to be dealt with on an individual basis in most cases, such as this.

So for the * and ** rule, those are points added automatically to a base car? So if Car X is in TTE, but has a **, it carries an automatic 15 points already, correct? Which means it only only 4 points remain before being bumped? Sorry for the newbie question.

How will new approved swaps and info on their classing be published? Will the rulebook itseld be updated, or will there be an official notification on this forum or the NASA time trial page?