drive shaft loop

white_2kgt

How close should it be mounted to the tail shaft? NHRA says no more than 6" from the tail shaft, is that good enough?

This is for a Mustang if it matters. AI rules do not specify where it should go.

I mounted mine on the forward part of the drive shaft, about 6 to 8 inches back from the u-joints I guess. There is no specific rule where to mount it, in fact, it is not required (unless rule changed), it is just highly recommended. Just mount it more forward from half way basically, so it catches the drive shaft from falling down forward and poll-volting you if ujoints break. And make sure the shaft does not rub on the loop, as the car flexes, they sometimes rub.

andy

I mounted mine on the forward part of the drive shaft, about 6 to 8 inches back from the u-joints I guess. There is no specific rule where to mount it, in fact, it is not required (unless rule changed), it is just highly recommended. Just mount it more forward from half way basically, so it catches the drive shaft from falling down forward and poll-volting you if ujoints break. And make sure the shaft does not rub on the loop, as the car flexes, they sometimes rub.

andy

yea, I know it isn't required, and after that myth buster episode I don't even know why I'm bothering with it Thanks for the tip on where to place it, I'll take a look in that area tomorrow.