Kinda lost in the rules

4elatemodel

Hey all,

I've been reading up on the rules and CCR. I'm a bit lost tbh. The goal is to buy a C6 base vette and put the zo6 nose and fenders on. Some aero a wheel and tire that's in the rules and late power to go up into TTU. 

My questions are as follows...

1) Do I need a cage? This isnt going to be just a track car I fully intend to drive this around and trip it.

2) Wheel and tire packages? Anything that fits in the tools are allowed?

3) Aero plain ad simple. Can i add a wing, diffuser, wide body z06? 

Thanks guys sorry Im so confused rn

Thanks,

Lou

• National Staff

Hi Lou,

To address your questions in order: 

1. You do not need a cage to run in Time Trial. Read section 10.1 Car Preparation, Technical Inspection, and Logbooks in the NASA CCR.

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/23134/2021_TT_Rules.pdf

2. Yes, in the way the tools are prescribed to be used. Here's a good explanation. https://nasaspeed.news/tech/wheels-tires/the-how-and-why-of-nasas-new-super-touring-tire-measurement-system/

3. Yes, you can add a wing and a diffuser. You can find the full explanation in section 4.1 of the Time Trial rules:

"Any type and size tires may be used. All types of motors, transmissions, chassis, frames, bodies, suspensions, aerodynamic modifications, and braking systems are permitted. (Note: No modification rules or limitations in Section 6)"

TTU is the fastest of the fast. Be safe and have fun!

Rules:

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/23131/2021_ST_1-4_Rules.pdf

19 hours ago, Brett B. said:

Hi Lou,

To address your questions in order: 

1. You do not need a cage to run in Time Trial. Read section 10.1 Car Preparation, Technical Inspection, and Logbooks in the NASA CCR.

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/23134/2021_TT_Rules.pdf

2. Yes, in the way the tools are prescribed to be used. Here's a good explanation. https://nasaspeed.news/tech/wheels-tires/the-how-and-why-of-nasas-new-super-touring-tire-measurement-system/

3. Yes, you can add a wing and a diffuser. You can find the full explanation in section 4.1 of the Time Trial rules:

"Any type and size tires may be used. All types of motors, transmissions, chassis, frames, bodies, suspensions, aerodynamic modifications, and braking systems are permitted. (Note: No modification rules or limitations in Section 6)"

TTU is the fastest of the fast. Be safe and have fun!

Rules:

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/23131/2021_ST_1-4_Rules.pdf

Hey Brett,

First of all thanks! I really appreciate you getting back to me. Even going so far as to give sections to look at was great!

I read back through the sections you recommended and the only thing I am still confused on is 10.1. I went back and couldn't find any specific wording that says street cars are exempt. At any rate I'm starting to plan for a roll bar and racing seats with a 5 pt harness. I used to race Dirt late models and had an nasty roll over. Safety first. 

With that in mind i know they have recommended roll bars which was awesome. Seats however must be supported by the bar? Or if are fixed back are fine?

I'm probably going to be asking a lot. I want to be in full compliance and know before i start buying parts.

Can i come to events? I'd like to see how things run and check the cars out?

Thanks,

Lou

• National Staff

I would suggest a six-point belt system over a five point. I've used both and the six point is always more comfortable in the groin, if you catch my drift. 

Based on conversation's I've had with tech inspectors, I would not use a fixed racing seat unless and until you have a roll bar in place. A fixed back seat is not designed to collapse in a rollover. Using a fixed seat without a roll bar is bad juju. If you're going to go with a seat, harness and rollbar, be sure to install them as a system rather than one component at a time. 

Aluminum seats must have a back brace. FIA composite seats do not need a back brace unless and until they are expired. 

By all means, go to a NASA event in your region and talk to every TT driver you can! They'll all have TT decals on their cars. You will find a lot of Corvette drivers to speak with and help you prepare your car. 

Roll bar, fixed back racing bucket seats, and 6 pt belts are a package deal.

Various issues exist with leaving out one or more of them.  Not recommended.

With fixed back buckets, no need for the roll bar to support them in any way.  Just mount them to the floor.

Honestly, sounds like you need to read the rules cover to cover a few more times, to avoid making expensive$$$ mistakes.

• National Staff
On 3/27/2021 at 11:14 AM, Brett B. said:

Aluminum seats must have a back brace. FIA composite seats do not need a back brace unless and until they are expired. 

Hi Lou, quick correction, CCR section 11.4.12, Seats, covers HPDE and TT and states "All seats must be securely fastened to the structure of the car such that they are strong enough to withstand a major impact. If replaced, the replacement seat should be installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Expired FIA seats may be used in HPDE without a seat back brace if one was not required originally."

The last sentence may be a little confusing. While back braces are a good idea when using a race seat with a roll bar, there is no specific requirement for race seats, aluminum or composite, to have a back brace. Rather, if the manufacturer calls for a certain method of installation, then that will be your answer.

What region are you in? We can place you in touch with your regional Chief of Tech who can provide more guidance. Thanks for your support of NASA!