Socal: February at Willow

NASA Jim

• National Staff

Jim,

Like Andy said, no points for Feb WSIR, but unlike the racers, we allow track records to be broken at this event. NASA Norcal and Texas will be having their first points events in two weeks, though.

• National Staff

That's a good question. Let me check.........sure, why not? It's a TT event, registration fees are usual, and counts for track records, I don't see why I shouldn't count it towards eligibility for Nationals. So, yes.

I don't see why I shouldn't count it towards eligibility for Nationals. So, yes.

I thought it had to be a "points scoring" event to count. On the Nationals site the first requirement is "The driver must have points...". That's why I asked if it was a points event- I was really asking "Does it count towards Nationals?"

• National Staff

You're right. Darn it, who wrote these rules? You guys are really going to keep me on my toes this year. OK, I will give out points, and it will be a regional event. However, the points will not count toward the SoCal 2006 TT Championship Series.

The intent of the "must get points" part of the rules was to ensure that a driver actually drove the car at that event, and didn't just register and not show up, or register and not drive. One of the reasons that we have the eligibility rules in TT is to have five days of driving at a regional event before a driver goes to Nationals, to make sure that there are no issues with the car's classification, or the driver's skill level and on-track behavior. Another reason is to support the regional programs, and to prevent outside drivers from only coming to Nationals. Our WSIR "warm-up, break a track record" event accomplishes all of the goals I've listed above. I chose not to have it count toward our regional Championship series because our region made it a no-points event for racers. However, it will also give the drivers moving up from HPDE3 a weekend to complete their required HPDE4 session, before they begin TT. And it will give all of our drivers a weekend of testing and tuning under the new rules.

Uh... so points that don't count to the championship? What kind of points are they? That doesn't seem to make any sense to me: pointless points.

I think it would be better to say that this first event doesn't count toward Nationals.

• National Staff

Pointless points--I like the sound of that. I think that this event should count since it meets all of the goals and intent of the rules. From Section 3 of the NASA TT Rules:

"The intent of the rules and safety considerations will be the overridding factors in making such decisions, as opposed to a constrained interpretation of the rules based on phraseology or verbiage."

This event will be run exactly the same as every other event, the only difference is that the points will be "pointless". There will still be winners, results posted on the National website, and maybe track records. We will still be able to evaluate our driver's skills, and whether there is any problem with the classification of their cars. It's just that for a variety of local reasons, it would be beneficial to our Regional Series and our drivers to not count this one towards the Regional Championship.

But there are no such things as pointless points.

Why not then just count this as the first event of the season? No other race classes are counting this event towards Nationals, so it seems it should be one way or another- points and the first event; or no points and doesn't count.

Unless this could be points to something other than the Regional Championship... like a pre-season league... and a preseason championship!

This could be a preseason pointless championship events that doesn't count for the 2006 regular season, but does count for the 2006 preseason championship, and counts towards nationals

Did I write that correctly?

• National Staff

Do you think it's prohibited by the CCR's to have a pre-season league and points championship that lasts for two events (ie. two days), and has mid-season (Saturday night) beer and/or Margarita contingency awards at a certain Mexican Cantina?

Do you think it's prohibited by the CCR's to have a pre-season league and points championship that lasts for two events (ie. two days), and has mid-season (Saturday night) beer and/or Margarita contingency awards at a certain Mexican Cantina?

Sounds good too me

It's like the Pre-Season races that NASCAR has.

But, why wait until mid-season.

• Members

But, why wait until mid-season.

Yeah Greg? Wha-why??

Did you read what I read there, Ted?

Greg is buying drinks at the catina! Whoo-hoo!!

• Members
Oh, didn't you hear, the contingency prizes were donated by the SoCal 2005 Sportsman of the Year.

Yup, im giving away VW parts!! Sign up early! I hope I win!

Oh, didn't you hear, the contingency prizes were donated by the SoCal 2005 Sportsman of the Year.

Yup, im giving away VW parts!! Sign up early! I hope I win!

lol.. Parts are parts