How do I get a competition license?

SoCal Rebell

Thanks for the speedy reply Ryan, one other question how do I go about getting a NASA racing license (I do not have any type of competition license) I'm getting tired of Time Trials.

Dear SoCal Rebell:

There are numerous ways to a competition license, and they vary in the time involved and the money to be spent.

You could go to a professional race drivers' school, spent an extended weekend--perhaps in Las Vegas--and approximately $3K there, and have all of the prerequisite to apply right away for a (full) competition license, at NASA as well as at most other sanctioning bodies.

For those of us who have to work for their money, the step-by-step approach makes more sense, from a financial and from a safety perspective. It consists of attending several NASA's HPDE events, move up from Group 1 to Group 2 to to Group 3, and finally into Group 4. With the instructor's approval, the applicant then may apply for an evaluation. If it turns out to be in his or her favor, he or she will be allowed to apply for a NASA Provisional License, which, after 4 racing events on observation, can be exchanged for a NASA Competion License.

In most instances applicants will be advised to attend the Drving Concepts race drivers' school, which is most affordable and held several times a year at the same track and the same time as NASA's HPDE events and races. Don't tell anyone I told 'ya, but it is also a great short cut if you'd like to race wheel to wheel as soon as possible.

Looking at your competition history in time trials, it appears to me that you are already confident with your car and know how to drive it fast--not an easy task with a Viper. All it might take in your particular case is one visit at the track, see where you stand within the HPDE community, and go to the school. I've done exactly that. Visit their Web site for more information and their schedule. And if you do, say "Hi" to Carl from me.

Welcome abord!

Edited by Guest

Also, remember that Provisional Licenses are issued by the region, so check with your Regional Director.

After taking care of your provisional license (4 clean races filled in and signed off), you'll need to send in your Competition License Application form, Application Fee, Medical Form (if you haven't already) and picture with your complete provisional license to the National Office for processing.