subaru

dublurx

hello

im in arizona, and i was wondering what classes are available for the subaru impreza wrx sti. i would like to come out and try my hand at road course. what should i do first to get the ball rolling. thanks for the help. ryan

HDPE would be a great place to start if you don't have racing experience. It's non-competitive (in theory, at least!), yet you can determine if this is REALLY what you want to do with your car. I've found that some guys build up their cars for the track and then discover that this is much more intense than what they were expecting (it's much more intense than "fast" driving on the street - which isn't very smart to begin with). Others start out with a nearly stock car and are forever sucked in from their first lap.

Read the rules for your region, but I'm guessing the only thing you really need to do is put a fire extinguisher in the car. You'll need a helmet and gloves and that will probably be about it to start.

You should have an absolute blast in your Subaru. At a NASA event earlier this year (at Sears Point), there were a number of them out there and they were quick and agile! Just don't go in over your head to start - one of them ended up in a wall at the end of the second day. There's really no excuse for that so early in the game: just go out, have fun - we're not racing - yet!