Miata for HPDE

vitoal18t

I've been to the track only once, Jim Russel Test Drive (half day even in an open wheel car).

I am going to attend HPDE 1 this spring and I wanted to buy Miata specifically for that purpose. I met a lot of people over the past 2 years (drivers, instructors, enthusiasts) who without the doubt said that Miata is the best platform for beginners. Cheap, RWD, not too much HP, easy to find parts and plenty of support.

My only issue is that I am 6'5". I've made several posts on Miata.net and send several e-mails. It seems that tall drivers can succesfully drive a First Generation Miata.

I just wanted to ask N.A.S.A forums community if they know any tall people that do HPDE in their Miata. I am interested in what kind of set up they run to have comfort and good clearance in that small, yet nimble car.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!

-Vito

Good Point!!!

But I am doing HPDE for sure and I'll need a car. Because I am giving my slightly modded Focus to my brother. We want to step through HPDE together.

Do you have any recommendations?

I've been considering older cars, such as BMW E30, 944, Miata, VW GTI, Fox body Mustang, Civic Hatch. I've been stuck on a Miata, even though it is my least favorite car. Large number of people speak very highly about a Miata.

Thank you!

Good Point!!!

But I am doing HPDE for sure and I'll need a car. Because I am giving my slightly modded Focus to my brother. We want to step through HPDE together.

Do you have any recommendations?

I've been considering older cars, such as BMW E30, 944, Miata, VW GTI, Fox body Mustang, Civic Hatch. I've been stuck on a Miata, even though it is my least favorite car. Large number of people speak very highly about a Miata.

Thank you!

At 6' 5" make sure that you can pass the "broomstick" test. This is where your helmet must clear by 1" a broomstick laying across the windshield frame and the rollbar. Convertibles must have rollbars.

I'm 5' 7" and couldn't accomplish this sitting in a stock 94 Miata seat. Some folks switch to racing seats or remove foam from the stock seat to gain the necessary clearance.

Good luck! I'll be doing HPDE1 this year. Should be fun!

I have talked to a very well known fabicator here in CA, he did some repair work for a guy thats about your height. He cut out the sub frame of his SM so he could fit in the car! This is wrong in so many way's i can't even begin! So.......

Find a car that you fit in first, just in case you go further down this road and you won't have to change car's again!

Sounds like if I were to use custom roll bar that is taller than all off the shelf roll bars I would easily pass the broom stick test!

I am not planning on using hardtop and I'll probably use this one Miata just for HPDE.

I am 6'1" and drove a friends SM at a track day. The builder built the car with tall people in mind. The roll bar was built to the cross bar was rearward of the floor pan in the rear so the seat could be all the way back. A race seat was then installed bolted directly to the floor. There was pleanty of room above my head so if you are a "leggy" 6"5" you shouldn't have any issues.

Find the right person and they can make it happen. What area do you live in?

2nd gen RX7 or the e30 BMW 325 might be better candidates for you given your size. RX7s are cheap, fun and roomy. So are the BMWs but a little pricier to own/maintain.

I agree, E30 325 was my "dream project" car since my highschool days, 7 years now.

It looks great, fun to drive, it is good at the track and I just like the simple idea of an E30.

However I am afraid that its added cost will keep me from the track at some point.

A solid 1989 E30 is around $3000, while a Miata or RX7 can be had for well under $3000. And then parts are more expensive for E30.

Also many people agree that Miata handles better than E30, RX7 or 944. (Just what I heard, never drove all 4 cars to have an opinion). That's why I got so stuck up on the Miata.

I am still not sure if all the hassle to fit my 6'5" frame is worth the trouble just to drive a Miata.

Another idea that will fit your requirements (Cheap, RWD, not too much HP, easy to find parts and plenty of support) is a V-6 Mustang.

There is a large amount of stuff (suspension, performance, looks) you can buy at reasonable prices. I have seen 95-98's going for around $3000. You won't have any problem fitting into the vehicle, they have enough HP to get the job done and are not too bad looking (IMHO).

Here is a forum I have been watching http://3.8mustang.com. Lots of information...

• 2 weeks later...
Also many people agree that Miata handles better than E30, RX7 or 944. (Just what I heard, never drove all 4 cars to have an opinion). That's why I got so stuck up on the Miata.

I am still not sure if all the hassle to fit my 6'5" frame is worth the trouble just to drive a Miata.

I'd probably say that its not worth the hassle. You need to be comfortable in a race car in order to drive it comfortably, fast and safely and not get tired out. Someone once said that trying to fit their large frame into a small car was kinda be like running around wearing tight underwear all day long.

You can try your question at specmiata.com but I personally think you're just too big for the car. I'm 5'11" (93 RX7 driver) and feel a little cramped in the car.

The Miata is just a fun car in general to drive 11/10ths. The other cars also "handle" just as well if not better but don't feel as "fun". Don't get the 2 confused. I drove a 88 RX7 NA on track for a few years and it was fun and almost maintenance free. The stock bushed rear took me by surprise twice, but it still handled well.

I drove 2 Miatas on track and they are fun to drive and beat the shit out of, but I think the 7 was faster overall in street type of preparation close to stock.

The 944 is probably more expensive to maintain than the e30...

I sat in a Miata when they first hit the 'States. I don't think I have an unusual sitting position, but I could not get comfortable.

IMHO, to me, being comfortable in the car is probably the second most important factor to safety and enjoyment (the first being the correct size helmet!)

• 4 weeks later...
I agree, E30 325 was my "dream project" car since my highschool days, 7 years now.

It looks great, fun to drive, it is good at the track and I just like the simple idea of an E30.

However I am afraid that its added cost will keep me from the track at some point.

A solid 1989 E30 is around $3000, while a Miata or RX7 can be had for well under $3000. And then parts are more expensive for E30.

Consumables are actually pretty cheap on the E30. If you use a forum and know how to save the $ ordering from BMAparts.com or otherwise, you will be just fine. I give backing to an E30 track car, there's lot of people running them and knowledge is abound, plus you can run with BMW CCA driving events in addition to NASA ones.

sundaymorning.jpg

e30sig.jpg

urban.jpg