Are SRT-4s good track cars?

mcolangelo2005

I'm looking for a reliable, affordable, durable, and well-performing daily driver/track car. The SRT-4 strikes me as a vehicle that can accomplish all that. This would be mainly for HPDE/Time Trials.

So, in stock form, how well do these cars do on the track? How is handling, steering, and braking in a track environment? I've already driven a stock 2004 SRT-4 on the street and I know they have enough power.

What mods would you recommend to make the car a better, safer track car?

Thanks! Have a great weekend!

Mike

DId Dodge really nail it with SRT4? I mean are they really that fun at the track, despite Turbo, lots of torque and front wheel drive.

I guess Spec SRT4 and $20K for street car already answers my question.

For those who drove a MINI Cooper S, is SRT4 really as fun to drive on the track, horse power aside. I drove Cooper and I thought it was a real neat car for its money.

SRT4 costs less.

• National Staff

If you want a car that's only one or two years old, has a bunch of power, and is less than $20,000, then this is the car for you. As you mentioned, they have plenty of power, but they are set up to understeer terribly to try to keep the street kids from killing themselves and everyone around them. So, to make it into a good track car, you need to make some suspension changes, and get some wider wheels. You can make it into a decent track car with just a Hotchkis sway bars and springs kit, energy suspension bushing kit, camber plates or cut slots in the strut mounting brackets to get negative camber, and wider wheels and tires. The better alternative is to get some decent adjustable coilovers to replace the stock struts and springs, then add the sways, bushings, and wheels/tires. The car can learn to turn, but it will never turn like a MINI or a 2350# Integra. I've had a lot of fun in mine over the past two years, and picked up a few wins along the way.

DId Dodge really nail it with SRT4? I mean are they really that fun at the track, despite Turbo, lots of torque and front wheel drive.

I guess Spec SRT4 and $20K for street car already answers my question.

For those who drove a MINI Cooper S, is SRT4 really as fun to drive on the track, horse power aside. I drove Cooper and I thought it was a real neat car for its money.

SRT4 costs less.

Or you can spend $7,000-$10,000 and have a very good Spec Focus Racing car

Spec Focus? We'll make it happen, maybe early 2007 season. I am still becoming friends with the Benjamin$ and yet to get competition license .

I think in 2 years Focus body will be dirt cheap, with Ford and Mazda stuffing Duratec in every car, engines will also be cheap. Plus Focus is not a Geo Metro by nature, that car can really move. I love my ZX3.

I think Focus Spec will take off!

Thanks for the info, guys.

I'm still biased towards RWD and AWD cars, but the SRT-4 (and the spec Focus) sound interesting - and cheap! Cheap is good!

• 3 weeks later...

i did my first hpde with the porsche club last november in my 05 srt-4.

it was alot of fun. the car runs great at the track in its stock form.

only things i did was dot 4 brake fluid and hawk hp front pads. i didnt get the brakes to fade at all. the only thing i want to do to the car this year is the ptcruiser frot swaybar and acr rear bar, along with the mopar rear tension struts. the tension struts are supposed to help keep the rear end inline at heavy braking. i found that braking from over 100 mph the rear end wiggles a little. it never wanted to come around on me, it was very controlable but it does give you the but pucker facter if you go a little deep into the braking zone.

i say get the srt-4 and show the higher doller sportscar types that a neon can be pretty quick.

Having driven an SRT-4 in auto-x and on the backroads near me, I can say that the stock suspension becomes unsettled pretty easily, and as was said, the braking isn't very balanced- it does get a little twitchy- left-foot-braking was almost a no-no because the back end wouldn't always come out predictably. I'm sure you could fix that with some sway bars, proper brake setup, and proper adjustable coilovers with sticky rubber attached

Power wise, the car has BALLS- no problems there Mark W.

from what people have said the mopar rear tension struts ( around $50)

get rid of the uneasyness under heavy braking.

for more srt-4 info goto SRTforums.com